Wednesday, August 14, 2019

So Behind On My Travel Updates - Here's Oaxaca!

Here I sit in Oaxaca, Oaxaca Mexico.  No, I didn't repeat myself.  I'm in the city of Oaxaca which happens to be the capital of the state of Oaxaca which is southeast of Mexico City.

Between my trip to Veracruz and today, I've done some other traveling, including a cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Copenhagen, Denmark. And Maryland. And Virginia.  And there's more travel to come.

Instead of trying to catch up now, I'm going to go ahead and post stuff about my time in Oaxaca and will add the older trips in later.

Now, let's get started.

The biggest disappointment of this trip happened on my way.  I had an 8 hour layover in Houston, the perfect chance to find the Jack In The Box and have some greasy tacos, which are nothing like real tacos but still delicious.

They had no tacos!  I asked why and the employee said they were too cheap and too popular and they'd be too busy.  Interesting logic. 
It was a bit rainy as I flew in to Oaxaca City, which is capital of the state of Oaxaca.



The view from the front door of my hotel.  It's right next to the Zocalo, a great, albeit noisy, location.

That's the front door of my hotel - Hotel Marques Del Valle.  I recommend it.  

The Zocalo, a large square in the center of the historic district, is always my favorite place.  Food, lots of vendors and free entertainment.  Plus, the Zocalo is surrounded by restaurants (casual and upscale) and they make for great people watching. 
Lots of balloons for sale.



Downstairs is a casual restaurant with tables on the side walk.  Upstairs, a separate more up-scale restaurant.

Spending an hour or two with Mr. Kindle and people-watching, while listening to live music is a lovely way to pass a summer day.

Just in case you don't like Mexican food, there's always Subway.

One popular spot has a breakfast buffet for just over $5 USD.

This material is printed to look like a Mexican flag.  

My first meal (adequate, not great) was the daily special.  3 courses, less than $5.

Bread and the typical corn tortilla which is cooked without oil on a "comal", a flat ceramic griddle used over a charcoal fire.

Cauliflower soup.  Meh.

They served the plain white rice by itself as a separate course. 
A chile relleno, refried black beans and salad.  Very typical.



The chile was stuffed with quesillo, the local cheese which is similar to mozzarella.

I'm a rice pudding snob.  This didn't measure up.

BTW, if you're wondering why I chose this restaurant...I was standing on the sidewalk in front of it when it started to pour. 
After an hour of rain, beautiful blue skies.





No comments:

Post a Comment