Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving Dinner in Apia


After a rocky start, I made it to Apia.  I missed the first boat because of a cab driver who showed up an hour late.  But like much of my life in Samoa, that low was followed by a high of meeting a really nice guy on the ferry.  He happened to be a cab driver.  He offered me ½ fare to take me to Apia.  Did he do it to be a nice guy, because he knew I was Peace Corps?  Or did he do it because he didn’t have another fare and ½ was better than nothing?  Probably a bit of both.  Bottom line, he was a really nice guy, we had a good conversation and I got to Apia faster than on the bus and without spending over an hour jammed into an overcrowded, hot bus.

The new Charges de Affaires and his wife hosted dinner at their home, which is the official Embassy residence.  They just moved in a couple of months ago and are still getting settled, but they had enough tables for 80 people and there was plenty of food.  It was a potluck and the food was the best I’ve had since coming to Samoa.

Chad, the Charges, made the turkeys (8 of them) and stuffing and both were awesome.  There were mashed potatoes, cranberry jelly and all manner of other pot luck items.  Desserts included pumpkin pie, a pumpkin cheesecake, pecan pie and fruit salad.  All amazing and the first I’ve had in over a year.

I met some new people, which was nice.  Talked to a new embassy employee who recently worked at the embassy in Pakistan.  Met a woman who’s married to a Samoan and has lived here for 18 years.  Enjoyed talking with the mom of one of my fellow volunteers.  Chatted with a couple of Americans who have been here less than a year.  He’s working in a program for troubled youth and I enjoyed talking with him, since I once taught at a residential treatment center for teenage girls. 

I also got to say goodbye to some of the Group 82 volunteers who are leaving within the next week or two.  They’ve served in Samoa for over two years.  And, of course, got to catch up with my fellow Group 83 volunteers.  We’re all excited about vacations coming up and most agree that the last year has flown by.  We expect next year to fly past even faster.

Chad and Ann were gracious hosts.  The food was superb.  The atmosphere relaxed and casual.  Interesting conversation.  Lots to be thankful for. 

After the event, I went home with friends for a quiet evening and the chance to sleep in a real bed, with no bugs.  In the morning I took a hot shower and was served a delicious breakfast.  Over food and tea we had an intense discussion about the role of “aid” in the world and the book “Debt Aid”.

I took the bus back to the wharf in the rain.  Usually it is over-crowded and when it’s raining the windows are closed and it’s like a college prank of seeing how many people can fit in a steam bath.  Today, though, was perfect.  There were less than 10 of us on the bus.  It was like having a limo, with bad shocks.

Bonus, the big boat is back in service so I didn’t have to take the tiny boat which I took Saturday. It’s not only slower, it has no seats and not much cover.  In the rain that would mean getting very wet.

It’s now almost 9 p.m.  Dinner is over, dishes are done and I put clean sheets on the bed.  It’s very cool, which feels wonderful and will make for good sleeping tonight.

I couldn’t have asked for a better Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment