Sunday, August 12, 2012

Friday Update

I wrote a post last Friday about the kids next door making a saka (fire and boiled food) at 3:21 a.m. I was incorrect. When I got to school that morning, I discovered they had been making an umu - the hot stone oven. They were doing it to prepare breadfruit and taro...for the teachers. Unbeknownst to me, we were having an all day barbeque to celebrate the boys' win at the netball tournament. Unfortunately, I had several things I had to do on Friday that didn't leave time for sitting, eating and drinking with the other teachers. Instead, I finished typing the Year 8 trial exam and also wrote and typed the criteria for the Reading Week competion in poetry, short stories, skits and posters. I also prepared copies for the other schools in the district. While I worked the kids ran wild and the teachers hung out together. It was a holiday from school. By the end of the day, the kids who'd been up most of the night making the umu and then barbequing the chicken at school were exhausted. But very, very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment