Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Rocks or Bridges?

There are rock people and there are bridge people. Bridge people take the paved road across the river. They can see the other side and the route is direct and safe. The bridge gets them where they want to go.

Rock people prefer the adventure of jumping from rock to rock, hoping they're close enough together and not too slippery. Rock people are willing to trust that there will be rocks all the way across the river, even though they aren't visible. They're willing to get wet if they miss a rock. They're willing to risk getting swept away. The payoff is the thrill of the crossing. The confidence that comes with making it across the hard way. The unexpected view. The bond formed with other rock people.

Based on their reactions to my announcement that I applied to the Peace Corps, my friends think I'm a rock person. I've always seen myself as a bridge person.

I'm joining the Peace Corps because I want to be a rock person. I have faith there are rocks in my river and while I may get soaking wet, I won't drown. If my dad was still here, he'd say I had rocks in my head. But he'd really be proud. He taught me to be a rock person.

2 comments:

  1. Eventually I will figure out how to post -as myself. Maybe I need training from the rock! MLB

    ReplyDelete
  2. That made me laugh when you said your dad would say you had rocks in your head! Sounds just like him. His baby sister Verna would have said you go girl!

    ReplyDelete