Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Stuff!

I love George Carlin. I saw him live at the Fox in Detroit once and was sore the next day from laughing so hard. I really relate to the bit he did on "stuff". Here it is on YouTube. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8896213084482448693#

Contemplating leaving the country for 27 months raises a number of issues about my stuff. Actually, most people ask what I'm going to do with my stuff before they ask why I applied to the Peace Corps. I admire people who can just sell or give away all their stuff and take off to the Peace Corps with only a backpack. My stuff may not be great, but it's all mine and I'm way too attached to it to let it go.

So to answer the question I've been asked most often - No, I'm not selling or renting out my house or car. I may have a house sitter part of the time I'm gone, but mostly it will be used as a vacation spot by friends from up north and closely watched over by neighbors and friends.

I'm joining the Peace Corps because I need a reminder that most people are very happy without a lot of stuff. And, because there might be some cool new stuff where I'm going that I can bring back for the memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment