Saturday, February 12, 2011

Betsy and Fred, I Love You!


 Just some of the mail I've received.  Most boxes have been consolidated and are stored with my school supplies.  Candy, spices, etc. are stored in rat proof containers.

Because the family I live with sells snacks at the school, they go into Salelologa almost every day to shop.  Tuesday, I rode along and we made a stop at the Post Office.   Getting mail is especially fun here because the Post Mistress, who has never asked for ID, now recognizes me.  She lets me come into the back room, where all mail is kept.  I get to sort through everything that’s come in for Peace Corps.

Because I wasn’t able to stop at the PC office to drop off mail for others, I just snagged the packages and letters for myself.  I couldn’t even wait to get back to the truck before I start checking out who wrote.   I got a Christmas card from Granny T. along with a long letter and crosswords.  I got a second letter and more puzzles from Granny T.  I got a card with a great long letter from a young friend who’s finishing law school, studying for the bar and working full time.  She doesn’t have the time to write, but did.  I got a card from Donna with some eye glass cleaning clothes that I’d asked for.  I also got packages.  One from ML and Ralph with some great goodies, including some blank cards and envelopes.  Yes, I get the hint and will start sending snail mail, especially to Granny T. who is the queen of correspondence.

Included in the package was a card with a note in it.  I was confused.  The package was from ML but the card was from MP?  Huh?  Then memory hit.  MP gave me the card before I left home.  I gave ML some stuff that wouldn’t fit in my suitcase at the last minute, for safe keeping.  The card was in there.  It made me cry when MP first gave it to me and made me cry again in Samoa. 

On the front is a quote I love from Thoreau “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.  Live the life you have imagined.”  Inside, the printed message is: “The road toward a dream can be filled with challenges.  It is easy to get discouraged along the way.  Just remember, that overcoming a difficult journey will only add to the satisfaction of achieving a dream.  I believe in you and your ability to succeed.” 

Last, but way not least, was a package from an address I didn’t recognize at first.  Who’d be sending me a large padded envelope from NY?  Wait, don’t Mika’s folks, Betsy and Fred live in NY?  Yes, and bless them for sending love in the form of a great note and goodies.  How did you know my favorite candies?  The school stuff rocks! They suggested I enjoy the treats, share them or use them as gifts.  I’ll do all three.

I’ve never met Betsy and Fred and this is the second time they’ve sent me love.  Actually, the most love they’ve sent comes in the form of tall, fit, blonde Joseph Michael (Mika) who is serving in Upolu.  We don’t see each other often anymore but when I do see him there’s always a big hug.  Betsy, I think of you when I hug him.  I can’t imagine how you and Fred miss him.  Hopefully, I’ll see him in a couple of weeks and will give him a special hug from you.  Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness and generosity.  Somehow, somewhere, I plan to buy you dinner and spend the evening getting to know you when I get back to the USA in 2012.

I’ve gotten a lot of mail and packages since I came to Samoa.  Enough that others have noticed that it’s rare that I don’t have a letter or package when mail comes.  I tell the other volunteers it’s just because I’m so loved at home.  I hope that’s true.  I think it also helps that my friends aren’t fresh out of college and have some extra spending money.  Mostly, though, I think it might be because my friends from home and new friends like Fred and Betsy believe in the Peace Corps mission and want to support the work we’re doing.

Several friends told me before I left home that they were happy I was living my dream and appreciated what I was doing.   They were looking forward to living vicariously through me.  Perhaps the letters and packages are their way of saying thanks for letting us experience this, without the rats and cold showers.

A friend from home asked me today what I need.  I don’t need anything.  Really.  I want a bunch of stuff, but heck, don’t we all?  I miss easy access to candy, green chiles and enchilada sauce, but I can get along just fine here, without people sending packages. 

In terms of school supplies, it’s the same.  The kids don’t need anything.  But the things  you’ve already sent will be so appreciated.  They don’t have crayons here or any art supplies.  No stickers, temporary tattoos or other small luxuries.  I’m sharing the supplies you’ve given me with the other teachers, to help them make their classrooms more inviting.  Kids, teachers and I are all appreciative of your generosity.

What means the most to me is that you care enough to take the time to get in touch.  A comment here on the blog.  Email, a letter or a package.  It really is the thought that counts.  Your support gets me over the humps:  large, small or in my imagination.  Thanks for helping!

2 comments:

  1. Your writing continues to keep me enthused as I wait, wait, wait for an invitation.
    I fully anticipate serving in the PC and having similar perspectives on the benefits of not being fresh out of undergrad. However, I seriously doubt if anyone can achieve the level of support that you have experienced from those who know and love you from back in the comfort of the States.
    Continued best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures of the boxes. I think it would be a great ad campaign for the US Postal Service. I love those flat rate boxes!!! Matter of fact, I need to go pack one up and send it off to Samoa! Should be there for Memorial Day!! I'll send some flags?

    ReplyDelete