Saturday, February 12, 2011

House Hunters International - The Saga Continues

 View from the school of my neighbors outhouse and laundry area (on the left).  If they choose House C, my outhouse will be not far away.  It would be for my use only, which would be stellar.
 

Just in case your brain has been numbed by boredom over my housing situation, here’s a brief refresher:

December 18, 2010. I was supposed to arrive in Faga and move into my own home. House A. Instead, I was put in a temporary room in a home until renovations on “my” home could be made.

December 31, 2010. The renovations were supposed to have been completed on House A so that I could move by the end of the year.

January 12, 2011. The day I cleaned House A, in preparation for moving in the next day.

January 13, 2011. Someone else was living in House A.

Late January, 2011. I was taken to see House B. It was deemed by village members to be unacceptable for a variety of health/safety reasons. After I had a meltdown, the housing search continued and I was taken to see House C.

February 3, 2011. Peace Corps came to the school and met with representatives from MESC (government schools), the School Committee, the principal and me. After lengthy discussion and viewing House C, all agreed work would be completed and I would move in the following week.

February 9, 2011. No work begun on House C. Told by homeowner that the School Committee would be coming on February 11 to begin work to install windows and build outhouse. I would not be moving that week as promised.

February 11, 2011. I was informed by the MESC representative that the committee had found House D, but that it was too far from the school and was not an option. Unclear as to what had changed with House C and why they were even looking at more options.

February 11, 2011. School Committee met at the school to discuss a variety of issues. I crashed the meeting to introduce myself to the committee and let them know how much I looked forward to teaching at their school for two years, without pay (I didn’t say the last part out loud). And how much I appreciate their help in resolving the housing issue. I also apologized for any offense I might inadvertently give because of my lack of knowledge of fa’a Samoa (like, say, calling them nincompoops for not getting my housing resolved).

Later that day, I ran into the only committee member I’d met previously. Coincidentally, the only woman on the committee. She informed me that after I left the meeting they decided that they should find housing for me.

February 15, 2011. Scheduled meeting of School Committee to discuss efficacy of House C and how needed improvements might be made.

Yeah, we’re back to square one. My frustration is that I’m living in limbo. The room I’m in was meant to be temporary, so isn’t up to PC standards. And trust me, PC standards do not involve luxury. The room was/is used for storage. The irony that I’ve been sleeping on the floor while 3 feet away is a bed that is used to store fine mats has not been lost on me. I’m beginning to find it somewhat concerning that the walls over where I sleep are covered with funeral wreaths. And, because they also can’t find room for me at the school, all my school supplies are jammed into my sleeping space. At least I have plenty of paper and crayons very close by in case I get bored.

On Friday, Peace Corps staff Friday assured me that they will continue to monitor the situation. Goody, that makes me feel better. I will continue to take long walks, meditate by the ocean and eat boxes of cookies to help maintain my composure. Unfortunately, those techniques do not seem to diminish my sarcasm.

I was in a snit when I wrote this entry at 3 a.m. this morning. I realized after the sun came up and I was in a better mood that this experience has provided the fodder for a great country song. Here are some potential lyrics:
I was lyin' on the floor
Right next to the bed
Starin' up at death
With thoughts of a home in my head.
What do you think, Garth??

 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how your writing helps me maintain a good level of enthusiasm while waiting for an invitation.
    Your comments about the outhouses reminded me of something from my growing up experiences among the Amish in Lancaster, PA. We used to refer to them as a 'shed'-house (say it very quickly to appreciate the humor). Yes, such was the level of our humor back when street-wise vulgarity had not yet become socially cute.
    I described that in order to give you something to while away the time as you wait for better housing. I'd like to know if you can translate 'shed'-house into Samoan and maintain the humorous implication (!).
    Continued best wishes and please keep writing.

    P.S. - The security word I needed to enter for this comment is "hydriona." Is that some sort of Samoan medicinal plant?

    ReplyDelete