Thursday, April 26, 2018

Across the Line for Medical Care

The results of my trip "across the line" into Mexico for dental work and new glasses.
One of my new year's resolutions was to deal with all the routine medical tests that I've put off for years.  I was committed to taking care of things for several reasons.  I now had medicare/insurance to pay for the tests.  I'm not getting any younger and want to stay as healthy as possible.  Mostly, because Humana gives me a gift card for $10 for every routine test I get.  Yes, the lure of a $10 Walmart gift card got me to get my first colonoscopy.

I'm happy to report I have now completed all my doctor stuff.  Mammogram, bone density test, colonoscopy, hearing test, echocardiogram, nuclear stress test, blood test, and overall physical.  And, just for fun, I tossed in an MRI to rule out a brain tumor (because I had sudden loss of most hearing in one ear.)

After all the tests the various doctors agreed that I'm very healthy.  Fat and old, but healthy.  Only the dentist was left.  I was overdue for a cleaning and had noticed that my upper front teeth were getting thin.

The dentist said I was correct.  My "bite" has shifted over the years so my front teeth were rubbing against my bottom teeth and I'd lost a lot of enamel.  The solution was four new crowns.  My insurance hands out gift cards like Santa Claus but only covers one filling per year.  No crowns.  My dentist said she would give me a discounted rate of only $1,400 per crown.  Normal fee was $1,600.  Each crown would require two appointments with two weeks between each appointment.  I was not happy.

Coincidentally, I was heading to Arizona on vacation.  My 50 year reunion is April 27-28 and I was planning to drive to Yuma to see my cousins.  Poor things, they're not getting any younger, you know.  I like to remind them of that, since I'm the youngest of our generation.

Only 15 minutes from Yuma is Los Algodones.  A small border town in Baja Mexico which is known for providing dental services to the 150,000 snowbirds who visit Yuma each winter.  I checked dental clinics on line and chose one, based on good Yelp reviews.  I made an appointment online with Alamo Dental Clinic.

I'm very happy I did.  The first visit took about an hour.  They took x-rays and ground down all four front teeth.  Then they popped on temps.  My cousin had decided to come with me at the last minute.  Since she was still in the chair, I went out to stroll around town. 

I didn't realize that there are almost as many optical clinics as dental clinics.  I strolled into one and 15 minutes later walked out, having had an eye exam and ordered a new pair of trifocals - with progressive lenses, transition (turn into sunglasses outdoors) and antiglare coating.  All for $170.

I'd been getting frustrated since my cataract surgery.  I expected to wear "cheaters" for reading but needed not only those but also different "cheaters" for using the computer, prescription glasses for night driving and sunglasses.  Watching me switch glasses was like watching the Three Stooges.  I needed a separate purse just for my glasses!

I made it back to the dental clinic just before my cousin was done getting a new crown, root canal and a filling.  We did what everyone with a mouth numbed at the dentist does - we headed for a nearby restaurant.  And because we were in Mexico, it was Mexican food!  Luckily, by the time my food came my numbness had worn off and the only drooling I was doing was because the food looked so good.

Our adventure didn't stop there.  As we walked back to the border we passed a small store which sold "genuine authentic" knock off purses.  I happily plunked down money for a nice "Coach" with a matching wallet.  After all, I saved so much money at the dentist!

We went back to the dentist the next morning to finish our work.  My cousin got her permanent crown and I had mine fitted but I needed to make one more visit.  They'd made the crowns but needed the final enamel put on.  After the dentist we picked up my glasses - they are fabulous.

Sadly, Candy couldn't eat or drink for two hours after getting her new crown so we had to pass on another Mexican lunch.

We made the 15 minute drive for the third morning to get my permanent crowns.  We walked a few blocks across the border and after about 20 minutes, my dental work was done.  My dentist said there was no problem with eating or drinking so off we went for more Mexican food.  Delicious.

Between the glasses and the crowns, I saved $5,070 over what I was going to pay in the United States.  The treatment I received was professional.  Everything was clean.  Everyone spoke English.  My glasses have a one year guarantee.   The dental work has a three year guarantee.  In my opinion, it's worth a trip to Yuma and the quick trip into Mexico.

The food alone was worth the trip.

Parking on the US side of the border is plentiful and costs $6.  You do need a passport to cross back into the US.

There were plenty of seats in the waiting room at the dental clinic and lots of older Americans waiting for treatment.  I made a point of trying not to get them in the photos.


My dentist, Dr. Lopez, studied in Mexico and the United States. 
You can make an appointment on-line.  BTW, there is another Alamo clinic which is different.  I went to the one on Alamo Alley.


This is where I got my $170 trifocals.



No comments:

Post a Comment