Saturday, January 25, 2020

Saturday, January 25 - Montevideo, Uruguay - Day 22

I was asleep at 4:30 this morning when someone turned on the florescent light over my head.  You know, the kind that flickers a few times before it comes on.  What the hell?  I was alone in my cabin when I went to bed, as far as I recall.

It only took a second to realize that I'd hit the switch by mistake.  I sleep with my arm over my head and the buttons are right there in the headboard.  I turned off the lights, said a bad word, then scooted down so I wouldn't do it again.  I must have moved the covers because that triggered the motion sensor light that I put at the foot of the bed at night.  After getting up to turn that off, I was awake.  No chance that I'd get back to sleep.  So I showered and got dressed.

After lounging around for awhile my new friend Carole came by and we walked into town.  She wanted to buy a special kind of rosary for a friend of her traveling companion.  We finally found them at the weekly market that I was hoping to go to anyway, so it was a long hot walk but worth it.

After getting back on the ship, I headed straight to the Lido.  I was looking forward to drinking about a gallon of ice water.  The water, tea and lemonade dispensers can be finicky and seem to break down regularly.  On one side of the Lido, the ice dispenser hasn't worked for the 22 days we've been on board.  Then I heard someone say there was no water.  Nope, no water on the ship.

I got a notice last night saying they'd be doing maintenance on the water system in my cabin from 9-noon.  They didn't mention that it affected the whole ship.

And just to whine some more - since we've been on the ship for three weeks, it's time for another mandatory muster drill.  Hopefully it will be much easier than the one in Ft. Lauderdale when at least one woman passed out.

I'm now in my cabin, in the chilly air conditioning, with my hair and clothes sopping wet from the 90 degree heat and high humidity.  Luckily I bought a bottle of water before I came back on board so I just finished that.  If the water doesn't come on soon, I'll have to resort to drinking the pricey bottled water.

Ok, I'm cooling off and feeling positive about how many steps I've already walked today.  Let's talk about Montevideo

I've been to Montevideo before, for a week.  It's a small city but lovely.  One thing to note - we started walking at 9:30 and most places were closed.  As we headed back to the ship at noon things were opening.  Like most of Latin America, things happen much later in the day.  Enrique was shocked yesterday when I told him that most grocery stores opened at 7 a.m.  "But why? Who would want to shop then?"  Me.

FYI I'm having problems getting phone service so am not able to finish this now. Hopefully I'll have better luck in the Falklands.

Here are some photos...















No comments:

Post a Comment