I have a love/hate relationship with embarkation day. On the bright side, I'm getting on a 14 day cruise. Which is mostly sea days. With a magical balcony with the perfect hammock chair, however, there are barriers to cross.
Getting to the port in Miami is a pain. Horrible traffic and crowds of excited, lost people. I think Barcelona is worse. And today there are 5 ships departing, with more than 20,000 passengers.
To make it more interesting, Virgin app shows Port D. I got an email in the wee hours, however, with a different port. Luckily, cruise ships are large. And hopefully, by the time I get a taxi, the driver will have brought people FROM the ship so will know for sure.
For me, the hardest part is the waiting. Hotel check-out is noon. Cruise check-in is 2:15. I've already unpacked my bag twice as I wait in the room - "WHERE ARE MY BAG TAGS??" Here's a lesson - don't pack them in the bottom of the biggest bag. Then - "DID I BRING MY MEDICINE??" Yes, of course I did but had to find it to reassure myself. This sort of over thinking seems to be getting worse with age, by the way.
I did feel better the other day in Bogota, while standing in a line. I was watching a 20 something guy who was also in the snaking line. I noticed him because he was doing "The Pat". You know that feeling when you wonder where your phone is? He patted his pocket. Clearly it wasn't there because then he opened his fanny pack. I admit I kind of enjoyed watching his panic escalate as he continued the search. He found it. Just as I usually find my junk.
I'm very proud that I still have my phone, passport, Kindle and the rest of my VIC - Very Important Crap.
Now, some photos!
![]() |
| I wandered around the streets near La Rambla and the Gothic neighborhood. So different from Florida and so lovely. |
![]() |
| I used to buy stuff when I traveled. Now, I eat. |
![]() |
| I love the number of small parks, easy walking and restaurants with outdoor seating. |
More later, once I'm on the ship. Depending on WIFI strength, I may just be posting from ports.





No comments:
Post a Comment