Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Good News, Bad News

I was doing a bit of research this evening on the Peace Corps Wiki. The good news is that there's a group leaving September 1st for Micronesia/Palau. That would match my nomination to be sent to the South Pacific in early September.

I would have been thrilled because everything I've read and heard about those islands describes them as simply amazing. Beautiful. Unspoiled. Close to Guam, so I could visit my friend Margaret's family.

The bad news? One of the requirements of accepting an assignment in Micronesia/Palau is that you live with a host family not just for the first few months (which is a requirement in every country) but for the entire 27 months.

I live alone. I work alone. I have some hermit-like tendencies. I think I can tough out the physical challenges of not having all the luxuries I'm used to. Okay, I have some doubts about that, but I plan to be like the Little Engine Who Could. Chugging along, telling myself "I think I can, I think I can....I know I can, I know I can!" Along with the occasional moments of "Not only I can't, but I don't wanna, either!" Ok, I can do it, but I don't guarantee I can do it without a little whining.

I figure I can cope with almost anything if, at the end of the day, I can hole up in a quiet (perhaps buggy), private (perhaps steamy), solitary (perhaps with no running water) retreat. A place where I can whine to myself or just read and recharge my batteries. For a few months, no problem. The initial home stay is a way to become part of the community and get to know a new "family". I'm looking forward to that. But 27 months? Not sure I can do it.

In any case, I may be worrying about nothing. According to my recruiter there's a 50/50 chance that my assignment will change. One thing I'm sure of is that it's going to be quite the experience. I can't wait.



No comments:

Post a Comment