Friday, November 12, 2010

I'm Alive!

This will be a very short post, since I only have a few minutes before I have to head off to catch the shuttle back to the training village.  We were all in Apia today for training and the big announcements - where we'll each be assigned for the next 2 years.  It's a HUGE deal to us - almost as exciting as finding out that PC was sending me to Samoa.

On December 18, after being sworn in as an official volunteer, I'll be headed to teach English in a primary school in Faga, Savaii.  I was hoping for Savaii and hoping for my own house and it looks like both wishes were granted.  I leave tomorrow morning to visit Savaii for the first time.  First, I'll spend a few days shadowing a current volunteer, then I'll go on to Faga (pronounced Fanga) to meet my new boss and see where I'll be living and teaching. 

According to PC staff, I'll be teaching very large classes (70 or so in a class) in a village that's right on the water and has one of the most beautiful beaches in Samoa.  I'll have electricity, running water (no hot water) and will be only 30 minutes or so by bus from the largest town on Savii.  That means easy access to the market for produce and an internet cafe, until I can get dial-up in my house.

I'm loving the training village.  I live alone with my host sister, a 52 year-old widow who is wonderful.  She has a fabulous sense of humor and treats me incredibly well.  I've already told her that she's spoiled me and I'm not sure I'll be able to cook/clean for myself when I leave her.

That's it for now.  I'm 60 (it was a great birthday, celebrated with my sister Fa and some of her family) and happy.  Stuggling with learning Samoan, but can now make complete sentences, so I'm getting there.

So far, Samoa is all and more that I hoped for.  Peace Corps was right when they called it "The toughest job you'll every love."

2 comments:

  1. Faga's cool. I was a PCV at a former "college", Logoipulotu College, on Savaii and our vice principal was from Faga. His name was Pusa Fonoti. Last I heard he was living in New Zealand, but some of his family may still be living in Faga. There's also another college near Faga, Tuasivi College, so you'll have some other PCVs nearby if the it's is still going. Savaii is great; more traditional and laidback than being around Apia. I hope you enjoy it.

    Uati

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't know me (I'm a future PCV), but I've been following your blog for a couple months. Happy birthday, and congratulations on what sounds like an awesome placement!

    ReplyDelete