Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thanksgiving

Thursday was Thanksgiving, but you couldn't tell, here in Samoa.  We had language class, as usual.  I had my language proficiency exam that evening and am proud to say I passed.  Congrats to the group - everyone passed and Karen, Danny and Sarah aced it. 

The test required us to describe our American and Samoan families, name objects and explain where they were (The car is in front of the fale. The pen is inside the briefcase.) We had to demonstrate our knowledge of numbers and also how to tell time.  Then we had to do a roleplay as if we were shopping in the market, talking about the fruits/vegetables and discussing prices. 

We have one more test in two weeks.  I'm dreading it and will be practicing like crazy in preparation.

Anyway, back to Thanksgiving.  Although we didn't celebrate it on Thursday, it hasn't passed without notice.  On Wednesday, we were all together in Apia for training and Jenny distributed individual "cards" that she
drawn for each of us.  Yesterday, Sia (Pat) gave each of us a note, telling us why she was thankful to be serving with us.  Today, we're getting together at the Charge' d' Affaires house for Thanksgiving dinner, with all the trimmings.  All the volunteers in Samoa will be there, along with all Embassy staff.  The Charge' (head honcho in Samoa for the US government) had turkeys flown in from American Samoa so we're pumped.

At lunch break on Thursday I wrote a long list of things I'm thankful for.  I won't bore you with the whole list, but here are a few things I'm thankful for:

Being healthy and lucky enough to be in the Peace Corps.

The amazing friends at home who are keeping me going.

The terrific new friends in Samoa who are making this an remarkable experience.

All the trainees that I'm sharing this experience with.  They get on my nerves some times and I know I bug them a lot, but I can't imagine a group of people I'd rather go through this with.  In future blogs I'll be sharing more photos and stories about who they are with you.

This small island nation, that is so beautiful and has such giving, warm people.  I hitched a ride into town this morning with a neighbor (which saved me a 2 hour bus ride) and was singing Christmas carols with them as I watched a complete double rainbow over the sea and coconut palms.

I'm off to eat too much American food now.

No comments:

Post a Comment