Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Quinn, The Letter You Mailed in March Just Arrived


I used to find it annoying to get my mail in Florida.  Like many subdivisions we had community mail boxes.  I had to trudge across the street and halfway down the block to get to mine.  Of course, it was one of the few times I saw my neighbors.  We were (and I assume they still are) typical Floridians.  I’d arrive home and use my remote to open the garage door.  I’d close the garage door as I walked into the house.

I spent quite a bit of time outdoors, but it was next to my pool, which is completely private.  Walking to the community mail box was when we caught up on neighborhood happenings.

Today I made the weekly trek into Salelologa to check my mail.   It involved 2 buses, 1 taxi and a bit over 2 hours and makes me appreciate the ease of home mail delivery in the States.  The trip to town was worth it.   I hit the jackpot – 2 packages, 2 letters and 1 postcard.

Thanks to Peter and Elizabeth from the Melbourne area.  You sent the first post card for my Year 7 class.  They’ll be excited to see it tomorrow morning.   The postcard was postmarked July 22, 2011.

Shout out to Quinn who sent a great note.  I appreciate you reading my blog and hope you’re enjoying your new adventure teaching in American Samoa.   You’ve got a place to stay at my house in Faga when you visit Savaii.  The envelope was postmarked March 11, 2011.  Yes, March.  From Chicago.  Was the carrier pigeon injured?  Quinn moved to American Samoa in July. 

Another letter was from my most consistent correspondent, Granny T.  Miss you and love you, Granny, and wish we could be playing a hot game of Jenga with R and ML.  Thanks for the crosswords! The envelope was postmarked July 14, 2011.

The boxes were from Donna and ML and both were filled with love and fabulous goodies.   To be honest, I was too excited to rip into them and didn’t check the postmark dates, but know that ML has been asking for weeks if it had arrived.  It’s hard to say what my favorite items are but the artichoke hearts and Swedish fish are both especially appreciated.  And, really, sea salt in a grinder?  I believe I’m the most pampered Peace Corps in service anywhere in the world.  I’m very grateful.

Along the way to and from town I noticed a few things that I thought you might find interesting.

A man got on the bus carrying a tiny infant and a chain saw.   

I saw t-shirts (all worn by Samoans) from Portugal, the Duke Fencing Team, US tour dates of Aladdin on Ice, and some high school in Missouri.  I’ve spoken at/attended a lot of conferences over the years and most involved t-shirts.  I gave them away.  I’m convinced I’ll see one worn here before I leave.

On the bus floor, next to the driver, was a large bottle of the local beer (empty) and a full plate of taro and barbequed chicken.  Next to a set of wrenches.

We experienced a slight delay on the way home since the bus had to wait for the police van which was blocking the road.  The policemen were buying fish from a roadside vendor.

When I arrived by taxi at the market, a man grabbed my packages and said “Pasi o Pua Pua, i?”  “I.” I replied and started following him.   He works on one of the busses I take that passes through my village on the way to Pua Pua.  He put my packages on the bus for me.  When the driver stopped in front of my driveway, he took them off for me.  It’s sort of like having a very large, noisy limo.

14 people waved and called my name as I rode by on the bus.  I counted.  

PC, is this what you mean by “integrated”?

1 comment:

  1. You should receive at least one more post card. That is if I can find one. I have asked at stores, the US Post Office and the local Chamber of Commerce. It appears that picture post cards are just not available in my area because I do not live in a tourist area. But I will get one somewhere, even if it is when I go to Staging in September. Speaking of the US mail, I heard news that due to severe operating losses, the USPS is considering reducing deliveries to M-W-F. I could identify with your American experiences regarding meeting neighbors when picking up your mail from a cluster box. That is what I do. I have noticed that I lost contact with many people after my kids went to college and into their careers. I am currently caring for my niece's dog while she vacations and I have experienced increased interactions with neighbors who are also walking dogs. It reminded me of those days involving little league, soccer, track, field hockey and softball. I think that Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. called those friendships "Grand Faloons" which he defined as friendships based upon the mere coincidence that you are together for a common reason, but not because you chose each other with whom to associate. The friendship develops during the time together and dissipates after the time together ceases to occur.

    ReplyDelete