Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The End is Near!

School is scheduled to end Friday. I’ve heard a rumor, though, that tomorrow is the last day. It can’t be soon enough for me. I’m ready for a break from school and village.

Before English Day and Prize Giving, there was a flurry of teaching and activities. It was stressful and exciting. Both days had highs and lows. Hearing the principal tell the parents that I’m really good with the copy machine probably wasn’t the high point in my career. Clearly, I need to add the ability to make two-sided copies to my resume.

I was told we would spend this week planning for next year. There is a new curriculum and in my humble opinion way too much paperwork. Teachers must have an annual plan for each subject, or in my case, all 8 grades. The sample was two pages long. They must also have a unit plan which is usually in 2-3 week increments. The sample was 12 pages long. That’s about 60 pages, total. We’ll also be required to write a daily lesson plan for each subject/grade. The form is one page long but to really complete the requested information, would have to be at least 3 pages. I’ll be doing six a day so that’s 18 pages a day, on average.

I agree with the need to move the curriculum forward but the materials were written in English, by a native speaker. Both Samoan and Peace Corps teachers have complained that they are too complex and not easily used by anyone, especially if English is not your first language.

The materials I was given to use as samples include Years 1-6. My primary responsibility is to teach Year 7. Hard to write my plans and meet the learning objectives for the year if I don’t know what they are.

The good news is that the emphasis is on more interactive learning. More independent study. That requires access to resources like dictionaries, encyclopedias and the internet. A couple of kids in each class have a dictionary. We’re working on getting the internet. The goal is to also move to more small group work and more critical thinking and creative problem solving.

Most of our planning time so far this week was spent eating ramen and drinking tea. I’m boycotting the ramen because I suspect my sodium levels surpassed incipient stroke leves about two terms ago, since we eat a bowl every day. I brought tea today and the teachers were disappointed. I enjoy the inexpensive jasmine green tea that’s available here. I drink it plain and shouldn’t have been surprised that the teachers prefer theirs sweet and white.

I went to town to use the high-speed internet access HB left me so I could upload photos and a PC report that takes forever with dial up. After two calls to the help desk I surrendered and caught the bus home.

BTW, I’ll be seeing the PC nurse Friday to discuss the new tropical crud I have in a couple of places on one leg. I had it before and it was quickly relieved by antibiotics but left some nasty scars. Please let Victoria’s Secret know that while my body may be marred, it does not in any way impinge upon my superior copying skills.

Do I sound whiny? I am. Like I said, I’m ready for a break.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nancy,
    I will take that text too. I guess it will fit my student's request to have school related text.
    I have seen that she has problems to translate when being under time pressure.
    The translation works well if she has enough time.

    Enjoy your days off and come back safely.
    Jens

    ReplyDelete