Thursday, February 28, 2013

Photos of southern/central Malawi

Today is Friday, my 6th day in country.  I've hit the ground running.  I've already attended two networking events, done work in the office and today will deliver customer service training to 50+ hospitality sector staffers.  I'm looking forward to a restful weekend.

Here are some photos I took as we drove from Blantyre in the south to the capital of Lilongwe in the central region of the country.

Beautiful countryside just outside Blantyre

Doing business in a village along the road.

Kids walking home from school.  Reminds me of Samoa.  Here they yell "Mzungu" and wave. Same as palagi.

Flowers at the small restaurant where we had tasty grilled chicken.

House along the road.

More countryside.  If you look closely in the lower left corner you'll see the thatched roof of a traditional house.

A village with traditional houses.

I need to practice carrying things this way.  It would improve my posture greatly. 

Selling beans on  the highway.

Selling produce in the market in ...Mozambique.  On one side of the road is Malawi, on the other is Mozambique.  

Dare you to say this isn't absolutely beautiful.  It is the end of the rainy season, heading into winter, which is why everything is so lush and green.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I finally have time to do this.
    Although I have not posted a comment since before you left Samoa, I have been following your moves, experiences and observations.
    I recently completed MST here in Macedonia and as we are now looking forward, rather than tallying our time & experiences here, I see our COS conference on the horizon. It gives me all kinds of day dream material, as you may well remember.
    It appears that you found a great unexpected path to follow and your experiences give me hope for the future after I become a RPCV.
    Best wishes to you for continued good experiences.
    Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete