Thursday, January 2, 2014

More of Mandalay - Zegyo Market

Another day of tourist activities in Mandalay.  This morning was cool and sunny and I headed to Zegyo Market.  I've heard a lot about it.  It's the largest market in Mandalay.  It's been around for years but recently a new building was built (Italian architect) that is 5 stories tall.  It was not at all what I expected.

I expected meat, veg, fruit, etc.  There was none of that.  There was fabric.  Bolts and bolts of fabric.  Floors of it.  Along with cheap kids' toys (which was why I was there) and a variety of food.

The market seems to be more a wholesale operation - selling goods to owners of small neighborhood stores in Mandalay and beyond.  It's worth exploring, though, since I also found a terrific (tiny) shop selling some unique craft items.

This, and the next few photos aren't related to the market, but the pics were on my camera.  Please bear with me.  This is Mexican food I made with all local ingredients.  Score!

My neighbor has a real oven, rather than a toaster oven that only toasts (which is what I was given).  Sugar cookies.

New Year's Eve goodies.  Caviar, smoked oysters, black olives, green olives, cheese, crackers.  Lovely.

And back to the market.  This is a typical aisle.  It is large, tightly packed and not air conditioned.  

There was a TON (actually, probably lots of tons) of fabric.  Most already cut into longyis.  Casual, formal, silk, cotton and wool.  Camo was also available.

After the sensory overload of the first four floors I was surprised to reach the fifth, most deserted, under construction floor.

But this small but nice beauty salon was on that floor.  Along with KBZ Bank branch.

And next to the bank - numerous gem dealers.  Some set, mostly loose.  Did you know that Myanmar mines amazing gems?  The ones in this photo are loose but laid out so you could see how they'd look in a necklace, etc.

The third floor is groceries.  As I walked through the floor my nose was delighted.  I went from soap/shampoo/detergent, to candies and cookies and then on to medicinal herbs and barks.

Valentine's Day is coming and Myanmar is ready.

Huge bags of barks, roots and herbs.

I met a great craft dealer who led me back upstairs to his small shop.  Worth visiting.  

This is a hunting necklace made of bison teeth.

Lots of statues/Gods, each with a story.

I had to have this bronze tail-eating dragon.

No comments:

Post a Comment