Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Kuala Lumpur - Day 3

It was a good day today, although rainy here in Kuala Lumpur.  Some might consider a rainy vacation day a bummer but since we're in the dry season in Mandalay, I'm enjoying the rain.

I stayed up late last night and slept in this morning.  One of the perks of vacation  And suitable for KL.  When I finally ventured out to stroll around Chinatown, the vendors were just putting out their wares at 11:00 a.m.

After walking for about an hour, I caught the free Go Bus, which is fabulous.  I headed back to Bukit Bintang for more window shopping.  I strolled around the upscale Starhill Gallery Mall.  Very few shoppers, huge prices and subdued, elegant surroundings.   Staff were friendly as they said hello but clearly my attire did not indicate I was ready to drop $100,000 for a watch at one of the many stores charging those prices.  I don't think I'll ever understand the fascination with expensive watches.  The couple I sat next to from BKK to Kuala Lumpur looked at watches in the airplane magazine and talked pros and cons.  Snore.

Then I headed along the rainy street to see what there was to see.  After wandering through a couple of nearby (cheaper) malls, I realized it wasn't much different than walking through a mall a couple days before Christmas in the U.S.  Crowded and not much different than I'd see at a U.S. mall.

I stopped at a food court at one of the malls for lunch.  No burgers in sight, but lots of Asian choices.  I went with Chinese and it was tasty.

When I ventured back outside the rain had turned from a drizzle to a downpour so I opted to hop on another free bus.  I headed toward Kuala Lumpur City Center (KLCC) and my second view of the Petronas twin towers.  I'd seen them first when I drove in from the airport. They looked impressive, with their tops in the clouds.

The most surprising thing to me about the city is the amount of greenery.  Lots of high-rises.  Tons of new construction.  And lots of trees, banana plants, grass, etc. in between.  It's also a bit hilly.

After a tour around KLCC, I headed back toward my hotel.  I walked for another hour or so, contemplating which purse I should buy.  I clearly was not in the buying mood and passed on all. After more walking around the Chinatown area, I had an early dinner of duck and rice and then headed back to my hotel.

Another good day, but I was left with a question.  Why, in S.E. Asia, do they pave sidewalks with the most slippery tiles possible?  Even the locals were avoiding the sidewalks to walk on the streets.  Better to brave the traffic than the slippery sidewalks.  Thanks to most of the drivers for avoiding splashing pedestrians.  Big boo to the guy who gunned it and splashed another woman and me as he passed us.

All in all, a great day.  And so nice to enjoy clouds and rains after the dry season in Mandalay.


No comments:

Post a Comment