Sunday, March 15, 2020

The Silver Lining - Reasons I'm Glad The Cruise Was Cancelled

UPDATE:  We were expecting news tonight on what HAL was planning for us when we got to Fremantle. Instead, the Captain announced that Australia has closed all ports to ships in transit.  HAL and Australian government officials are having a conference call tonight to determine exactly what that means.  I'm hoping we'll be allowed to dock (with no passengers or crew leaving the ship), replenish diesel and supplies then head toward Florida. 

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

I am NOT happy the cruise was cancelled.  I understand it.  I think it was the prudent decision but would be MUCH happier if the damn corona virus was just a blip and not a pandemic.

Rather than stressing about things over which I have no control, like how I'm going to get home to Florida from Fremantle, I've focused today on not the sad side of this situation, but all the good stuff.  Here are some things I'm grateful for and looking forward to.

Here's the list, in random order.

  • I've been posting updates on FaceBook to let friends know where I am and what's happening.  I'm am touched by the support I've received.  In particular, all the people who have business associates or relatives in Australia and are offering to put me in touch if I need assistance while I'm here.  I'm feeling the love and it means a lot.
  • What a great travel story this will be when I'm a geezer in a nursing home.  I can repeat it ad infinitum and bore all the other geezers.
  • I can't wait to hug my friends.  It may be a couple of weeks after I get home but still.
  • Fast internet.
  • Taking a shower and being able to use both hands since at sea I need one hand to hang on.
  • Pajama days, when I can shower and not worry about hair, make-up or wearing a bra all day.  Sorry for TMI.
  • Sleeping in my own bed.
  • My shower, which is an oversized walk-in shower with a 4'X6' window for natural light.
  • Being able to walk just a few steps to get tea or coffee.
  • My surround sound tv set up with Amazon, Hulu and Netflix.
  • Good pizza.  There are differing views on board but I think the pizza tastes like frozen (it's not).  Eddie's Pizza in Longwood, I've missed you.
  • Mexican food.  They have stuff they call Mexican on board but it is not even close.  It's tasty, just not Mexican.
  • Driving my car.  Just being able to hop in the car and go.
  • Having internet on all my stuff, all the time.  Phone, Chromebook and Kindle.  What a concept.
  • Silence.  There always seems to be some noise on board.  Most of it is good - ocean against the ship, etc. but silence is good.
  • Children.  I love kids.  My career started as a teacher and ended as a teacher.  I look forward to being around kids when I get home.
  • Cooking.  I'm going to regret this one because I do love the incredible food options at every meal but I am looking forward to cooking.  
  • Inexpensive massages.  J. Sterling Wellness Spas, I'll be making weekly appointments as soon as I can.  $39 for an hour of great massage?  Yes!
  • Dental care.  I chipped a tooth in Brazil.  So far, so good but will be good to get back to the dentist.  
  • My pool.  I love looking at it, especially at night when it is lit up and I love swimming in it.  Or just sitting out by the pool in the evening.
  • Using my gas grill to fix dinner, enjoying grilling by the pool.
  • 4 Rivers Bar-b-que in Longwood.  The Messy Pig is my favorite - a stack of cheesy grits, pulled pork, cole slaw and jalapenos with sweet and spicy sauce.  Yum.
  • The privacy of my house where I have space to dance, sing at the top of my lungs and just be.
  • Cheap wine.
  • High ceilings.  My house has vaulted ceilings which is wonderful and gives such a feeling of space as opposed to the low ceilings in my cabin.
  • Being alone. Not seeing another human for days at a time.  Bliss.
I'm sure there are things I'm missing.   What are things that you love about your home?

No comments:

Post a Comment