Friday, October 31, 2025

October 31, 2025 - Halloween and My 75th Birthday! In Las Palmas, Gran Cararia

 I slept like a rock last night.  They've turned off the balcony lights at night, which I prefer, so I kept the curtains open.  I woke up about 2:30 a.m. to see lights.  I assumed we were docking early but then realized it was a Royal Caribbean ship cruising next to us.  They're now docked in front of us.

I'm feeling much better although a bit "tippy" even though we're docked.  Like many older women I tend to get "land sickness" which I thought was a made-up thing until I got it.  No big deal, just makes me feel like I'm about to tip over all the time.  It will pass.  And, I was contemplating my "sea sickness" yesterday...was it the movement or was it the "table mayo"?  But, I'd eaten maybe a teaspoon of the mayo hours before getting queasy so assume it wasn't that.  So much for fascinating info on my health.

When my friend Roland visited me in Cartagena last winter, we spent a lot of time trying to decide what I should do for my 75th.  For 50 and 70, I did world cruises.  60 was the Peace Corps.  I'm celebrating half decades now and will go annual once I hit 80.  

We never came to a firm decision but I had great fun thinking about how to treat myself.  How about just enjoying 75 perfect days this year?  Which I've already done!  When I saw the cruise, I knew I wanted to do it.  And what better way to enhance the experience than planning a couple of Michelin dining experiences along the way?

First was the wonderful Caelis in Barcelona.  Today is Sorondongo, in Las Palmas.  I have a 2:00 pm lunch reservation, and since we don't depart until later this evening, I'll have plenty of time to dine and check out the food/craft market nearby.

Photos!

This doesn't look good.  

Ah, Konry and Julius made a heart on my bed for my birthday.

It is about 70 and sunny.  Lots of people off the ship to explore.  Las Palmas is relatively small and there are 3 of us giant ships in town.  This is why I often stay onboard.  

Hey, Fred, kinda egotistical to have your name that big on your private yacht, don't you think?  Kidding.  It's a ferry, which can take you around the Canary Islands.  And Sicily, apparently.

Excellent weather!

People in the bridge.  Did I mention the behind the scenes tour is $299?  It was free on HAL as a perk for being on the world cruise.

What the heck kind of ships are these?  Isn't my blog informative?  

The photos are in reverse order again, sorry.  I did figure it out.  Has to do with which device is connected to the internet when, for uploading.  I'm too lazy to reverse everything.

This was as we slowly cruised in, following the two other ships.  Note the tiny sailboat anchored among the freighters.





I always love cruising in to a new port.


I was hungry this morning and happy I'd stocked my fridge with date bars.

And, fresh fruit and yogurt.  I'm really loving the carry out options.  

The bow camera had raindrops in the wee hours.  But now, ideal sunny weather.

Ok, I've got too many photos, so I'm going to break this up.  Check out my fabulous lunch in the next post.  And wait until you see some of the Halloween photos.


No comments:

Post a Comment