Sunday, November 2, 2025

November 1, 2025 - Heading Across the Atlantic

 Today is the first of eight sea days.  I'm really looking forward to it but it means that the photos may get pretty boring and monotonous.  

The weather is warmer than I expected.  It's in the 70's and throughout the day we had mostly sun but a few rain squalls.  The first happened while I was heading outside to deck six.  Because I still can't figure out which direction I'm heading in the hallways, I ended up having to walk the length of the ship, outdoors.  In the rain and wind.  I didn't mind the weather except that's how I broke my leg a few years ago, so prefer to avoid wet decks.

But, I had an important destination!  I'd already waited 15 minutes in line to get an empty popcorn bag from the Social Club Restaurant.  My goal was the Sun Club Cafe to get some of their really, really addictive Firecracker Popcorn.  They give a small portion in a wire basket and I wanted a larger portion in a bag I could take back to my hammock.  I only got a small bag but that was probably best, since I would cheerfully eat as much as they gave me.  

The day flew by, in a very pleasant way.  I've been asked about getting lonely or bored while cruising, but those aren't issues for me, typically.  I love spending time alone and there are always people around on a cruise.  When I went to the Galley to get some fruit and oatmeal for breakfast, I ran into a couple I'd met before, so sat with them to chat for a few minutes.  Later, I went to another magic show (same basic show, still fun) and had a nice conversation with the woman next to me who was on her second ever cruise.  I also had a long video chat with my favorite 8 year old on the planet and her parents (who are also pretty cool).   Plus all the interactions with crew at the different venues.

As for getting bored...no.  I'm 3/4 through my second book of the trip.  There are few things that make me happier than reading to the sound of the waves.  Now, if they'd let me fish from my balcony, I'd be in heaven.

Now, photos!

View from bed when I woke up at about 6:30 a.m.

We're heading east so the sunrise was behind us.


It was nice enough to have the door open but too chilly to be on the balcony.

That is one heck of a breakfast sandwich.  I did not have one.

I really do love overnight oats for breakfast.

There were blue skies when I headed out for food.

The Social Club has candy and treats.  Yes, I did get a bag of sour gummy worms.  Free!

I had a nice lunch in the Dock House.  It has a very nice, casual/coastal ambiance.  Like being on a covered patio in Greece.  But the couches and daybeds are low.   Notice the low hassocks across the room are taller than the couches.  The hassocks are a few inches lower than a standard chair.  Which means when I sit on a very low couch and cross my legs, my knee is at about chin level.  I have no lap.  Dining requires holding the plate, since the tables are not designed to be eaten from.  It is much like eating on the couch at home.  And, yes, I confess it took me two tries to get up.  I'm going to blame the movement of the ship rather than lack of core strength.

Like most restaurants on Virgin, the menu is very limited.  And does not change during a 14 day cruise.  Since there are so many dining options, I'm not finding that to be a problem.  But they'd have to change their model if they ever decide to try long (30+ days) again.  They tried that once and it didn't work, BTW.

I got the octopus which was tasty and very tender.  Which is hard to do.  I know because I got to pound some octopus while living in Samoa.

I also got the flank steak skewers which were also tasty.  And I liked that they split the fresh, warm pita so there wasn't too much bread for the meat.

They were having a jigsaw contest in the Social Club.  Which team could complete a 300 piece puzzle first.  They have lots of activities in the Social Club, including several rounds of trivia.  Nice but the volume on the crew member's mic was REALLY loud.  And I'm old and kinda deaf.

They have snacks at the Social Club Cafe.  Big pretzels with green chile cheese, hot dogs, chicken wings, popcorn and candy.  They also have the only really, really, really slow service I've experienced so far.  I'm not sure if they need more crew or new processes, but it is faster by far to get a full meal in the Galley than a bag of already-made popcorn here.

I was one of the few out walking in the rain but after waiting to get the empty popcorn bag and walking the length of the ship twice, I was going to get that firecracker Popcorn or break my leg trying!

Sorry, I haven't learned to hold a phone to take a photo, apparently but wanted to show how rainy it was.

And yet, when I turned to look in the other direction, it was clear.

The pool is empty because literally seconds earlier it was raining.

I love cruising through changing weather (as long as it's not changing into a hurricane).

I have strong opinions on the seating.  These guys get a thumbs up.  Shade on deck but with some privacy and a view and a reasonable height and chair depth.   

The elevators have cool lighting and sometimes, messages.

I asked them for a double order of the firecracker popcorn.  Apparently, they looked at my butt and said "no".

But, it was delicious.  This and the cheesecake mousse pumpkin from the Galley have been the best bites so far.

Back in my cabin, the rain was back and too breezy/wet for the hammock.

I'd heard mixed reviews on the pizza, some saying it was the best, others less enthusiastic.  You can get it to go in a box and it was freshly made and tasty.  I had two slices.  It was good.  Next time, I'll get it without the pepperoni, which made it a bit too salty/greasy for my taste.  But, a decent pie, with plenty of cheese.

I got treats from the Social Club Cafe (20 minutes waiting in line while the sole crew member worked as fast as she could)  This is a cookie base topped with Dulce de Leche and coated in chocolate.  

Dulce de Leche is my favorite and these were incredibly rich and tasty.  How'd they get the Dulce so thick so it held it's shape?  Almost a fudge consistency but the smooth texture of Dulce de Leche.

I took my pizza back to my cabin and enjoyed watching Brad Pitt in "F1" while eating pizza and treats in my jammies.  Perfection.

1 comment:

  1. I think I could live on the octopus and the flank steak!!

    ReplyDelete