Sunday, March 22, 2026

March 22, 2026 - Tired of Looking at Italian Hill Towns?

 I'm not!  Today, I checked out of the Airbnb in Viterbo and moved to Roccalvecce, literally a block from my friends' house.  Then, we headed to lunch in another nearby hill town.  They're everywhere!  And so beautiful.

Here are more photos.  In reverse order, of course.

M, L and E dropped me off near my house, then went on home.  They were worried about me walking about 50 yards by myself.  Their house is so close and the town so small/quiet, they'd have heard me if I needed help.

Matt and I shared this pizza with gorgonzola, spicy sausage, caramelized onions and cheese.  Very thin crust and very delicious.  On our 15 minute drive home, we saw several wild boar and a porcupine.

My living room in Roccalvecce.

The bidet is tucked away on the left.


The living room - that's front door.

My bedroom for the week.

It says Taverna but I think it is a private home.

These lights shine on the castle at night.

Just past the awning, next to the parked car, is Matt and Lori's house.

Their next door neighbor's front door.  He doesn't live there but is currently renovating it.  You can buy a lovely small home for less than $20,000 here.

Matt and I went antique shopping.

That's Roccalvecce, from a distance.  The big yellow building is the castle.

We drove to a village for lunch and then walked to some ruins afterwards.















Dogs seem to be welcome everywhere, including restaurants.

Best olives ever.  They don't eat olives so I ate the whole bowl.  They'd been marinated in fresh orange juice and zest.  I'm going to try that when I get home.

For lunch, a light (!) dish of beet risotto with burratta.

Eileen had a chicken cutlet with some really tasty roasted potatoes.

I'm going to try making this tortini de patata - basically grated potatoes, mixed with milk, topped with cheese and baked, then topped with fried onions.

This shrub with new red leaves are everywhere and make stunning hedges.





Wild iris are all over, both white and purple.


Another view of Roccalvecce.


In the newer area of Viterbo are a variety of "big box" stores for food, furniture, etc.  This place was huge and similar to a Super Target, but less expensive.

And, it had a resident cat.


No comments:

Post a Comment