I crossed another border on a day trip today. We drove about an hour and a half north to Tuscany. The scenery was stupendous but walking up and down the streets of Montepulciano was a LOT. There are a lot of elderly people in these hill towns and they are clearly in MUCH better shape than I am. I think carrying groceries home up some of these roads should be an Olympic sport.
Although the weather is chillier than I prefer (highs in the 50's), I'm glad I was here for spring. So many shades of green. The rolling green hills in Tuscany were stupendous.
 |
| Why, yes, I did climb up that road that zigzags up the mountain. |
 |
| Eileen - my favorite 9 year old on the planet. |
 |
| Ceramics like this are common in Tuscany. And too expensive for my budget. |
 |
| This plant is so dramatic - we've seen long hedges that appear all bright red because of the new leaves. |
 |
| Everywhere you turn is another great view. |
 |
| A shop for just brass cookware. I couldn't afford this, either. |
 |
| Another item not in my budget. This town is smaller and less expensive than nearby Siena, but still pricey. |
 |
| I am obsessed with old wooden doors. |
 |
| Why, yes! I did walk down this staircase. |
 |
| My new wheels, if I move here. |
 |
| Lasagna! Eileen said it was the best she's ever had. |
 |
| Lori and I shared a Caprese salad. The mozzarella were the best I've ever had. And, the tomatoes are apparently supposed to look that way - as opposed to them being half raw. |
 |
| Lori and Matt shared this round, thick pasta. Tasty but a bit too chewy for my taste. |
 |
| Honestly, you can't even go to the toilet without climbing stairs. |
 |
| Roads tend to be very narrow with narrow/no shoulders and fast speed limits. |
 |
| This is a "main" road. |
 |
| And then the terrain changes. |
 |
| They had only one way traffic in this really long tunnel. |
 |
| On our way home, back in Lazio, we stopped in the town of Bolsena, on a lake of the same name. |
 |
| While I sat and enjoyed the sun while gazing at the lake, this local guy practiced bocce. Lake Bolsena is the largest volcanic lake in Europe, hence the black beach. |
 |
| Wind turbines on the opposite side of the lake. |
 |
| There are small towns around the lake which are popular with Italian tourists during the summer. |
 |
| Every town seems to have a castle. |
 |
| And churches. Lots and lots of churches. |
 |
| And flower boxes outside most homes. |
 |
| Lots of homes have what looks like strips of rope. Someone said it is to keep the flies out when they open the door during warm weather. |
 |
| Wileen invented an "activity" for us. We had to create a logo for the Roccalvecce kid's club she wants to start. FYI, there's one other kid in the town. |
 |
| I bought prosciutto, cheese, fanta and a package of amazing local cookies for less than 10 Euro. |
 |
| That's Roccalvecce. The castle is the yellow'ish building. Care to buy a house? Less than 20,000 Euro. |
 |
| A view from town. |
No comments:
Post a Comment