Saturday, May 22, 2010

News!

My family always opened all of our presents on Christmas Eve. I have a long history of not dealing well with delayed gratification so it's been really hard to not see progress on my Peace Corps application.

Peace Corps applicants can log in to the PC web site to find out what's up with their clearance progress. Mine has shown no progress since March 31. Nada. Zip. Zilch. The exact same thing, every day. And yes, I check it every day. Still on hold for legal clearance and although they had received all my medical paperwork, they hadn't looked at it.

Yesterday I couldn't stand it and decided to bug my wonderful Peace Corps recruiter. She's a former volunteer and works for the PC in Atlanta. The fact that she responded to my email at 7:20 p.m. on a Friday night says a lot about her dedication and work load.

The exciting news is that she's been "following" me. Seems I've cleared legal and they have begun the medical clearance process. Also, seems that my placement hasn't changed, which means I'm on for the Pacific Islands in early September. While my recruiter can't confirm anything, reading between the lines, it looks like I'll be heading to Vanuatu the first week of September. But, because the PC is swamped, I probably won't have confirmation of that until six weeks before I depart.

Which is all good with me. Can't wait. Of course, things could change completely at any time and I could end up in Cameroon or Kazakhstan. Even though I'll have to wait until mid-July to find out for sure where I'm going, at least it feels good to know that my file isn't just gathering dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment