Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I'm Gonna Miss This

Want to really appreciate how good your life is? Apply for the Peace Corps.

Long before I hit the "enter" key to send my application on November 26,2009, I researched and thought about how my life would change. Putting aside for a minute all the enormous emotional, psychological life-changing stuff that will no doubt come from living in a different culture, let's think about the small things we take for granted. Or, perhaps I'm the only one who takes for granted all the creature comforts most of us have.

Yesterday, I put my laptop down so I could toss a load of laundry into the washer. Took another load out of the dryer. Walked back into the cool, clean, quiet family room where my computer was still connected to the Wi-Fi.

A bit later, stepped outside to turn on the gas grill. Threw some ribs on to cook, then turned on the stove inside to sauté some fresh sweetcorn. Took salad fixings out of the fridge - romaine, strawberries, blue cheese. Tossed on a few almonds for good measure. Poured a glass of pretty good red wine.

Later, put down Dan Brown's "The Lost Symbol" and turned out the light. Stretched out on clean sheets, with the temperature/humidity perfectly controlled. The silence was so loud I could hear it.

After a great night's sleep, I got up early this morning and headed out for a walk. I saw ducks and a great blue heron. Enjoyed a view of the lake while talking with a friend on my cell phone. Avoided getting run over in the crosswalk by an impatient young woman who ran a red light.

Got home and took two tons (ok, maybe a few hundred lbs) of trash out to the curb. Between the walk and hauling out all the stuff I'd cleaned out of my garage I was really feeling the heat/humidity. Took off my sweaty clothes and dropped them in the washer. Walked through the house and hit the pool for a short, refreshing swim.

Back in the house for a hot shower. Then, hopped in the convertible to head to the store to stock up on groceries. After work today, I'll be getting a massage.

I have a very, very good life. I'll miss all the creature comforts that I've taken for granted for most of my life. Having electricity at the flip of a switch. Clean water at the turn of a faucet. Air-conditioning. A flush toilet and hot shower. A huge variety of food. Control over my environment and schedule.

I'll miss all that. I won't miss dodging impatient drivers in cross-walks.

Six months from now, when I'm whining in this blog about mosquitoes, humidity and roosters, feel free to tell me to suck it up and remind me that I chose to leave my cushy life in Florida. I'll be working on focusing on the bigger and more important stuff so I don't notice I don't have a flush toilet.


Photos were all taken near City Hall in Lake Mary, FL.

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures of lovely Lake Mary. And remember, wherever you go - there you are! So, you will find beautiful things and new forms of creature comforts wherever you are!

    ReplyDelete