Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Like Being 14 Again

When I was 14, I had a crush on a boy named David. He seemed to like me, too, and even though my parents said I was too young to date, I was thrilled when David said he'd call.

I waited by the phone. I invented the "laws of attraction", focusing all my energy on willing David to call. Every time the phone rang I transformed into a panther to leap on it, growling at any family member who tried to beat me to it. The anticipation of "the call" was almost a physical pain. David never did call.

I'm feeling the pain again now. I faxed everything Medical Services requested back last Friday. All tests were great except for one. My doctor says the result was so close to normal, I should just ignore it. Will the Peace Corps agree?

Every time the phone rings or an email pops up, I jump, hoping it will be word that I've been medically cleared. Good friends may be getting a touch annoyed with hearing "Oh, it's only you." when they call me. My mailman thinks I'm stalking him because I've been spending so much time hanging around the mailbox, waiting for a letter from the Peace Corps.

I'm taking deep breaths. I'm working on patience. Peace Corps, please, don't do me like David did.

1 comment:

  1. First of all, give me an address of David, I gotta go have a chat with him.

    Dont worry Nancy, these things will all work out!!!

    ReplyDelete