Saturday, April 2, 2011

A Day In the Life


Free food! A delicious spaghetti sandwich I was served for lunch one day.
For those going through the pain of waiting for their invitation to serve. I know the frustration. You’ve been to the doctor, the dentist, you’ve submitted reams of paperwork. While you’re waiting to get a phone call with a D.C. area code, here’s something to keep you distracted: what a typical day is like in Peace Corps Samoa.
Saturday

I woke up late, for me, this morning. About 7. The sun was coming up. I didn’t bother to shower, since I’d showered before bed last night. I said “Malo” to the kids who live in the fale very close to mine and who were screaming my name as soon as I opened the curtains. I did the morning “Dead Bug Hunt” and picked up 4 dead bugs. 1 large spider and 3 roaches. Picking up the dead bugs is important because they attract armies of ants. I feed them to the chickens in my yard.

I put on the socially acceptable t-shirt and long skirt and headed out to the bus. I waited. I waited some more. After about 20 minutes, a bus came by. Waiting isn’t bad, since I sit in the covered fale at the school with a beautiful view and pleasant breeze. The bus wasn’t crowded, which made it a pleasant ride to Salelologa.

I went straight to the market and stupidly headed first to the seafood. I should have waited to buy my fish so I didn’t have to carry it around, but was excited about buying some lobster. The lobster was limited, though, and too expensive. So I bought a small tuna for $10 tala.

I went into the market proper and shopped for vegetables and fruit. I spent about $30 tala on bananas, bok choy, carrots, avocado and some donuts. I gave one of the donuts to one of my students who helped me carry my stuff around the market.
It was raining and there were no busses leaving, so I paid $3 for a cab to the internet café. I know the guys there and it was nice to see them. I asked if it was ok to leave the fish outside because of the smell and they agreed, although suggested I work quickly, since sun and fish don’t mix.

After checking email, I headed out with my bags of food to wait for another bus to the village. I stood by the road for about 45 minutes before one came. After a 50 minute ride, I was home, ready to clean and fillet my fish.

After preparing some fish for dinner and some for the freezer, I ate the palusami that I’d bought at the market. The guy I usually buy from wasn’t’ there and this baked taro leaves with coconut cream wasn’t as good. Still tasty, though.
After a nap, I considered the lesson planning I needed to do. Decided to go for a swim instead. I walked the ten minutes to an empty beach. The water was refreshing but rough, with a strong wind and current. I swam for about an hour and got out to dry off and read. It was perfect. As I walked home, about 14 kids yelled to me.

Once I got home, I listened to a podcast of This American Life while showering and sweeping the floor, which is a twice a day activity to try to keep the sand under control. Then I made dinner. Sautéed tuna, some leftover coleslaw and avocado. Lovely.

I watched “Gladiator” on my laptop, then turned in early to read for a couple of hours.

Monday
A typical Monday starts at 6:00 a.m. when I get up and plug in the iron to spruce up my puletasi. While it’s heating up, I do the Dead Bug Hunt and put water on to boil for tea and oatmeal. I head into the shower and put on a t-shirt and lava lava to avoid the puletasi as long as possible.
I enjoy my oatmeal, usually with a banana, along with a cup of tea or koko Samoa. Once in awhile I indulge myself with one of the flavored cocoa packets from my friend Donna. I blow dry my hair until it’s almost dry and wipe on some lipstick. I climb into the uniform puletasi of the day and do one quick run through of the house, making sure the bed is made, floor is swept, dishes are done and everything is tidy.

I grab my computer bag, purse, bag of school supplies, lunch, bottle of filtered water and 2 liter bottle of frozen water for the other teachers. Looking like a Sherpa heading for the summit, I walk out to face an amazing sunrise over the lagoon. It’s a five minute walk to school and I usually run into kids as soon as I hit the road in front of my house.

Until 7:45, I chat with other teachers, prep for my first class and hang out with kids while they play on my computer. I teach Year 7 every day from 8-9. From 9-10 I have a planning period, which usually means I’m helping make copies, typing something for someone, or doing other chores, like fixing a laptop. I rarely have much actual planning time during school.
From 10:00 – 10:40 I teach a different class each day, from Year 1 on Mondays to Year 4 on Thursdays.

Interval is from 10:40 to 11:10, although it usually stretches a bit longer. During interval the kids play outside and eat snacks brought by their parents or purchased from one of the canteens. I usually have some leftovers from the night before with the other teachers while they share my leftovers and have ramen. I’ve learned to bring plenty of leftovers, since they are fascinated by what I cook and always want a taste.

From 11:30 to noon every day, I teach Year 8. From 12:30 – 1:30 I teach the two Year 6 classes. School is dismissed at 1:30.
I usually stay after school with some kids, playing computer games or talking until 2:00 or so. Then I head home. I either do laundry or go for a swim then. On Tuesdays, I head to Salelologa for a quick trip to the post office and the internet café. I usually also stop at Frankies/Malosis to see what the meat situation is. I’ve found decent hamburger there twice, in four months. By the way, I’m not sure of the name of the store. Some people call it Frankies. Some call it Malosis. There is no sign on the store. I just know it closes at 4 p.m. so I can’t dawdle at the post office or internet.

I’m usually home by 5. I sweep the floor again, do prep work for school, then cook dinner. I usually read or watch a movie during dinner. I got copies of all the TV/movies brought by other volunteers and will hate it when they run out soon. I’m hoping once I get internet, I’ll be able to download some PBS podcasts to keep the entertainment train rolling.

I typically take a walk in the evening, which is when most people are out on the main road, playing volleyball, rugby or just walking/hanging out. I’m back home before dark, which is before 8.

I wind down with soft music and candlelight, enjoying a quiet evening with Mr. Kindle. We usually turn out the light about 10.
It’s not a glamorous life, but I’m enjoying it. So far, there are enough breaks in the routine to keep it interesting. I have so much interaction with teachers and kids during the day that I’m ready for peace and quiet in the evening and don’t feel lonely. All in all, I couldn’t ask for more.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for another clear series of mental images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you call your Kindle, Mr.Kindle

    ReplyDelete