Saturday, April 9, 2011

Time Flies


I have a brand new toilet. And thanks to the gap between wall and roof, plenty of fresh air.

I've been busy. That's my excuse for not posting more regularly. Yes, I've been busy with school. Yes, still settling into my wonderful new house. But it's an excuse.

Time seems to be flying by and I find it hard to believe that this week was my six month anniversary in Samoa.

This is just a quick update on my recent week (5 popo, by the way)so you don't think I disappeared into a banana plantation.

I showed up at school recently wearing one black sandal and one blue sandal. That was embarassing. It was worse, since they were both right shoes. It wasn't a big deal, since I frequently don't wear my shoes all day, but the kids found it amusing.

The funniest part, I thought, was the reaction of some of the teachers. One gently asked why I was wearing shoes like that. I had to explain that my light is on the opposite side of the house as the door, and my shoes. So I turn out the light, put on my shoes in the dark and head out. Didn't notice until it was too late to turn around. No, it wasn't a fashion statement.

Last night when I undressed I realized I'd worn my underwear inside out all day. I really have to start paying more attention.

A lone chicken was pecking around the playground the other day when a herd of little kids ran out at interval. Watching the chicken try to escape was a hoot. The squawking and flapping of wings was worthy of a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

Ever met a kid who'd never heard of Bugs Bunny? Or Mickey Mouse? I know a bunch of them.

I've started "sneaking" puzzles to the kids before school. Cross-words and word search. Kids are begging for them. I'm keeping them black market and unofficial to keep up the allure. I thought one of my slower students just wanted them for the paper until he showed me his collection. All complete and neatly stapled together. He wants to save them.

I've started slipping in challenging comprehension worksheets to some of the more advanced students. I call them puzzles. They stay after school with me to work on them.

My biggest challenge last week was getting the kids to leave at the end of the day. The highlight of the week was when every kid in year 7 did a role play - storekeeper and shopper. One sold, one bought, then they traded places. Every single kid did it...twice. In English. And they didn't want to stop because they realized they could make jokes. "How much is the cabbage?" "$100 tala." "How much is that big TV?" "One seine."

It was a good week. I'm in Apia tonight. I ate pizza yesterday. Indian for lunch. Got a hair cut. Met new friends and spent quality time with people I care a lot about. A very good weekend.

I have to go now. There's Chinese food waiting out there, somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment