Friday, June 24, 2011

Goodbye, Samoa

I broke a tooth last night. It didn’t hurt and I knew PC would arrange for a dentist so didn’t think much of it. I talked to the PC Medical Officer today and she gave me great news. Rather than going to the local dentist just up the road at the hospital, I’ll be going to American Samoa.

PC will pay for a day trip for me to get my tooth fixed. Because this is a chance to go “home” to America, I’m spending a couple of nights at my own expense. I’ve heard that Pago Pago is small and there’s not much to see. I’ve also heard that it is much more like Samoa than America, which is not surprising.
The thing that PCVs say about Pago, though, is there’s a store. Sort of like a mini-Sam’s Club I’ve been told. American products at American prices. Very exciting.

Last night, after the kids astonished reactions to my stash of food, I was feeling guilty. I should live a more Spartan, more traditionally Samoan lifestyle. On the other hand, will that make me a better teacher? A better human being? What exactly are the benefits of self-flagellation and a wardrobe of hair shirts?

If you read PCV blogs from around the world, you’ll quickly discover that some volunteers believe there’s a sort of caste system in PC. If you’re in Africa, far from electricity and running water, you’re hard core. You’re a “real” Peace Corps. If your job is working in Aids/HIV or hunger alleviation, your PC halo shines a bit brighter.

If you’re serving in a place like, oh, say Samoa…typing a blog entry while gazing out at a beautiful lagoon, you’re not even Peace Corps. You’re Beach Corps. I just had a cold beverage (Malaysian version of Kool-Aid) from the ‘fridge. Reinforces the notion that my living conditions are quite luxurious.
Call me Beach Corps if you want, but I’m excited about heading to Pago Pago for a couple of days.

P.S. In case you’re interested, American Samoa is not governed by Samoa. It is an American Territory, like Guam and Puerto Rico. I will need my passport to get into American Samoa and again to get back into Samoa. Even though the names are similar and they are geographically close, they are two separate countries.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your (passport-dependent) travels.
    Best wishes for a good outcome with the dental appointment.
    You might be regarded as "Beach Corps" but I understand that I will be regarded as being in "Posh Corps" because of the living conditions I will 'endure' in Eastern Europe (Macedonia). I just say, "whatever" - - - it is all relative if you factor in the age perspective (I'll be 67 when I enter Staging and my same age colleagues cannot imagine living outside of their neighborhood. I just say, "well, go and try to make a difference anywhere and in any way you want."
    But, you know all of that.
    I am impressed with all that you have endured and all that you are committed to enduring in order to make a difference.
    For now, I want to send you best wishes for good dental care!

    ReplyDelete