Friday, June 17, 2011

Social Butterfly

I enjoy the small variations in the daily routine. Yesterday I experienced a real treat. One of the teachers brought a couple to the room where I was substituting for the absent Year 8 teacher. Wayne and Lisa are a couple from New Zealand. They were enjoying a dive vacation in Savaii and were staying at the resort in my village.

Lisa is a primary school teacher in their small town. Wayne runs the family’s dairy farm. They wanted to spend the last day of their vacation at a Samoan school. Since I wasn’t prepared to teach Year 8 all day and was winging it, I was happy to have another teacher volunteer to join the class. Lisa led the kids in a couple of art projects with Wayne and I acting as assistants. The kids loved the change of pace and having new people there.

The day before I’d had both Years 7 & 8, over 50 kids, for the day. They’re good kids, but we speak different languages and they’re pubescent kids. We had a chat about fa’aaloalo…respect. For each other, for the school and for me, as the teacher. The message seemed to take hold. Several times while they were working with Lisa and Wayne the noise level started to rise and a few kids were getting a bit too enthusiastic. As I was getting ready to tell them to cool their jets, I heard “fa’aaloalo” being whispered around the room. I love those kids.

Wayne and Lisa asked me to join them for a trip to the market in their rental car and I jumped at the chance. We had a great time and after we got home they invited me to join them for dinner at the resort. Pizza at a restaurant. Or leftovers in my fale. I joined Lisa and Wayne. The staff must be wondering what’s up, since I was also there last week with the Americans who came to the school. It probably reinforces the theory that all palagis know each other.

After a delicious dinner and great conversation, Wayne, Lisa and one of the hotel staff walked me home. It’s a short walk, although the amenities at the resort make it seem light years away. The night was perfect with a full moon and the sound of the waves lapping just a few feet from the road.

They were leaving for home this morning, so before we parted we exchanged contact information. They invited me to visit them in New Zealand when I go there for vacation next January and I plan to take them up on it. I’d love to meet their family and see where they live. It didn’t hurt when they mentioned we could do some diving for scallops.

Since I've arrived in Savaii, I've been out after dark a total of five times. Three of them in the past week. Dinner with the Americans, the fia fia on Saturday night and dinner with Wayne and Lisa. I'm a wild woman.

The socializing continues. Just before dinner at the resort, I talked with the president of the Women's Committee of my sub-village. Long story, but we'll be working together on the Samoa Health Challenge III. I'll be joining women every Monday, Wednesday and Friday for volleyball and jazzercise. It isn't exactly the jazzercise we're used to, but I think I'll enjoy dancing by the ocean and shaking my booty as the buses pass by.

No comments:

Post a Comment