Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Hard to Give a Popo Rating

Lew asked what I'd give last week as my popo rating. Hard to rate when there are such extreme highs and lows. I could average it out as a 3 but that doesn't really reflect the truth.

Yesterday was an example. The day started with my walk to school. First I head directly toward the lagoon and a spectacular sunrise. Definitely 5 popo. Then I realized there was not another person heading toward the school. It was 7 a.m, so I was late. But no kids. No kids in uniform walking on the road toward the school. Was school cancelled and they forgot to tell me? It wouldn't be the first time. I continued on and everyone showed up about 1/2 hour later. Why the delay and how did everyone but me know? Not a clue.

I disagree with corporal punishment, but it is a fact of life here. It is the way parents discipline their children. This is not my country and it is not my culture and I'm not here to judge. Having said that, it took everything in me not to lose control when I saw not one but several very young children get slapped across the face. Definitely a 1 popo moment. I excused myself from the situation as quickly as I politely could so I didn't say or do something I'd regret.

School then soared to 5 popo. The kids were learning and having fun. They were anxious to learn and seemed happy to have me as their teacher. Good all around.

The afternoon/evening were uneventful and calm. A good thing. I took a short walk at dusk to enjoy the amazing sunset and stand next to the lagoon. It was high tide and there was a strong breeze. Waves crashing, cool wind and an almost-full moon visible in the still light sky. Another 5 popo moment.

I went home and took out my garbage, which means walking behind my house to toss it on the pile. I'm a city gal and didn't count on the roosters already roosting. In the tree over my head. One cock-a-doodle-dooed and pooped as I walked under it. Scared the crap out of me. And it, apparently. Luckily, I was planning to shower anyway.

Sleep was tough. I learned that I should not try to save $.50 on the cheap mosquito coils. They don't work as well and the mosquitos kept me up much of the night. I have bites on my face and butt and all places in between. 1 popo.

I also learned that rats tap dance. At least the one does that has moved into the ceiling over my bed. He was channeling Fred Astaire last night and helped the mosquitos keep me awake.

Did you know that pigs sound like people? I thought someone was walking toward my fale in the middle of the night. My senses went on full alert, waiting to see if they steps went past my house. They did not. Just as I prepared to leap out of bed and defend myself from an intruder, I heard my attacker snort. And snuffle. Just one of the huge pigs nosing around my fale for food. I shouldn't have given them all those mango peels. Now they think my fale is a big feeding trough.

Speaking of mango peels, I used most of the 20 mangoes to make jam on Sunday. Two large jars of golden yellow, sweet deliciousness. I'm going to let folks taste it and explain how to make it to see if they want to make it to sell. Could be a source of income, if they're interested.

That's why it's hard to rate my weeks. I can soar from a 1 popo to a 5 popo in seconds and then plummet back down just as quickly. In between are a lot of 3 popo times, just as most days are...routine and ordinary. So far, I'm still really enjoying the ride. Soaking up those 5 popo moments to make up for the dips.

Have to run. There's a beautiful sunrise and school waiting.

1 comment:

  1. You know, I think the rating system works here in the states too. You are living more mindfully and take notice of how you feel throughout the day. While I intend t do so here, there is something about the pace and the familiarity that makes it easy to ignore the polo rating as the day unfolds. I'll see if I can pay attention tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete