Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A Typical Monday in Faga

Ok, one thing I’ve learned is that there IS no such thing as a typical Monday. Yes, the days all have a certain sameness but almost every day has at least one tiny surprise. That works for me since I get bored easily and any break in the daily routine is a cause for celebration.

This week my school is the site of a 3 day workshop for Years 1-3 teachers. I figured that would cause a bit of a stir and I was correct. When I rolled into the playground, it was filled with men. With large knives and machetes. Nope, not a village uprising. It was a mowing party. The men of the village showed up to cut the lawn, by hand.

I asked if we’d have school as usual today. “Of course.” I knew the teacher was a big fat pepelo (liar) but just waited to see what would happen. At 11:15 I went in to teach Year 8. The principal who teaches that class asked if I’d be done by noon. “Yes, why?” “Because then the children will sweep the yard and start preparing for the meeting tomorrow.”

I knew it! My last two classes of the day were toast, since all the kids from Years 4-8 were sent outside with brooms to sweep up the cut grass. Yes, they literally sweep the lawn with the same hand-made brooms they use for the floors.

After sweeping and collecting the grass, the kids started moving the new furniture into the faleaoga (outdoor, open air hall) and moving some desks and benches from the Year 3 room upstairs to Year 8, whose new furniture was outside. It was mayhem. The kids were told what needed to happen but given no specific details. Over 130 kids running and screaming, loving the disruption. Teachers intervened only once, when some girls dropped a desk. They were told to back off and let the boys do the heavy lifting.

The funny part of that was the first boy they tagged is the smallest member of my family. He’s 12 and built like a fire plug. Although small, he picked up the solid wood desk, tossed it on his shoulder and jumped off a 2 foot step to take it across the lawn before heading upstairs with it.

Within 45 minutes, the lawn had been swept and the furniture moved. School was dismissed early. Years 6-8 were told to come back at 4 pm today with their parents to decorate the hall with flowers and straighten up the desks. No one will be there to lead the effort. I guarantee that tomorrow morning the place will be spic and span with beautiful flower decorations. It may seem like chaos at times, but when Samoans want to get something done, they make it happen.

52 teachers from neighboring schools will be showing up tomorrow morning. All of our Year 1-3 kids are staying home since their teachers are attending the workshop. It promises to be an interesting day.

No comments:

Post a Comment