Monday, May 28, 2012

Enchiladas in Auckland

For the first time since October 5, 2010, I ate cheese enchiladas yesterday.  I finally found an open Mexican Restaurant, across the street from the Sky Tower, called Mexican Cafe.  For $15 NZD, I dined on chips/salsa, cheese enchiladas with rice and refried beans, salad and a dollop of guacamole.

Were they as good as the enchiladas I grew up with at Casa Molina in Tucson, AZ?  No.  Were they as good as any enchiladas in Tucson, AZ?  No.  But very few stack up to the stellar Mexican food in Tucson.  I can already hear my friend in Santa Fe protesting that NM Mex is better than AZ Mex but he's really from Michigan, so what does he know? 

These enchiladas weren't on a par with either AZ or NM grub but they were good and really made me happy.  And the sauce didn't have tomatoes!  The chips were cold but fresh and crispy and seemed to be homemade.  The guac was stellar and a nice touch.  The rice was bland and the beans didn't taste quite like refried beans should but they didn't detract from the cheesy focus of the plate.

How did it feel to eat my favorite food after going without it for so long?  Good enough that I'm going back for seconds today. 

Viva la comida Mexicana!  Good on you, Mexican Cafe!

No comments:

Post a Comment