Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Learning a New Language

I'm only going to be in Malawi for a few months.  Well, maybe more, since they've asked if I'd be open to extending after the first three months.  That decision will come after I've been there for six weeks.

In any case, I plan to learn to say "hello", "please", "thank you" and a few other basics.  But I may need more.

Tonight I was perusing sites to check out restaurants and shopping in Blantyre (pronounced Blahntire). I was excited to discover that there's a grocery store in the city.  It's called Shoprite and is based in South Africa.  I'd read that most of the "western" imports are from South Africa so that wasn't surprising.

I was checking out their site and found this in their description of their butchery department:  " Smart shoppers can enjoy a wide range of fresh portions, whole chickens, marinated delights and famously South African products like Karoo lamb, boerewors, sosaties, oepsies, and more."

I get "whole chicken".  But boerewors?  Sosaties?  Oepsies?  What the heck are those?

I'll be leaving for Africa in about 2 1/2 weeks.  I'm about equal parts over the moon excited and terrified.  But I can't wait to find out if I like sosaties.  I'll let you know.


1 comment:

  1. You have been blazing an amazing trail since I first found your blog over two years ago. You were completing your first year as I was planning to depart for Staging. It has been interesting to recognize so many similarities in our PC experiences even though we have been on opposite sides of the globe. I'll COS in November, one year after you and I am beginning to wonder if I will take the path you have chosen, for I also not only want to serve/help others, but to continue to learn, experience and have fun.
    Best wishes and keep posting your experiences.

    ReplyDelete