Wednesday, February 5, 2014

New Restaurant in Mandalay

I don't know when the restaurant opened, it's certainly been there awhile but was new to me.  Located near Diamond Plaza, on 77 between 31 and 32 is Singapura.

They specialize in Singaporean food but the menu (in Myanmar and English) has a variety of Asian treats.  I was with another teacher and we had limited time since we were on our bi-weekly shopping trip on the school bus.

I was partly interested in the restaurant because it's owned by the family of one of my first graders.  As we walked from Diamond Plaza, the restaurant wasn't exactly where I thought it was.  Just as we were about to give up and turn around I heard someone yelling "Teacher Nancy!  Teacher Nancy!"  It was Jerome, his siblings and his dad.  They were behind us and also walking toward the restaurant.  The dad asked where I was going and did a double take when I told him his restaurant.

They guided us across the street to a well-lit, attractive restaurant.  As we entered, the aroma hit me first, along with the friendly greetings from a number of male servers.  We were led past other diners (locals) to a comfortable booth and given the extensive menus.

The drink menu included smoothies, shakes, coffee, tea, soft drinks, freshly squeezed juices along with beer and Spy (wine coolers).  No other liquor available.

We both ordered the chicken and rice (an iconic Singapore dish) and a half chicken for take away.  I was leery about the chicken and rice but one of my fellow teachers, a Singapore native, assured me it was what she missed most from home.

I asked Jerome, my student and waiter, what the best thing on the menu was and he said "chicken and rice".  He knows I'm not a big rice eater (something which troubles my students) and hurried to assure me that it doesn't taste like "real" rice.  Hmmm.

When I got home and dug in, I realized what he meant.  The rice had been cooked in broth and was delicious.  The meat was tender and juicy.  Two spicy condiments provided just added to the taste treat and the slices of raw cucumber provided a nice crunch.

The half chicken, which I'll be eating over the next few days is plump and looks and smells delicious - roasted Chinese style.

While we had a brief wait for our food, I enjoyed a fresh limeade.  Total cost for two juices, two orders of rice and chicken (I had mine for dinner and will enjoy the leftovers for lunch today) and two half chickens was $13.40.  A bargain.

If you're coming to Mandalay, give Singapura a try.  Good food and you'll likely get to meet my first grader and his 3rd grade sister who may help the serving staff translate for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment