Thursday, January 3, 2019

Hair Cut in Guadalajara

I've been taking it easy today.  At breakfast I made a couple of new friends.  Two boys from the adjoining table decided to join me.  Juan Carlos, 12, and his one year old brother are from Puebla and speak no English.  To be fair, I don't think the younger brother speaks much of anything.  We played a game together on my Kindle and just hung out for a bit.  That's one of the joys of traveling alone.  I doubt if they would have wandered over if I had been with someone.

No photos of breakfast but it was buffet at the hotel again.  Fresh fruit, a beef/chile stew and a pork stew with nopales (cactus).  Mexican sweet bread with coffee for dessert.

The salon was small but had all the stuff most salons have.
My hair has been driving me crazy so I decided it was time for a cut.  During my walkabout, I found a small place with one female stylist and two customers, one male, one female.  The salon was open to the sidewalk so I stepped in and asked if I could get a haircut.  She said yes and that it would cost 130 pesos, about $6.75.  Then she explained that I'd have to wait while she dyed the lady's hair and cut the man's.  I opted to just wait there, watching the pedestrian traffic stroll by.

Soon it was my turn.   No shampoo, just wetting the ends with a spray bottle, which was fine.  Then she started asking me something and my Spanish failed me.  The woman getting her hair dyed tried to help but the only word she knew in English that applied was "dry".  Ah, yes, my hair is dry and has split ends.  She wanted to use some oil on it and it would add 30 pesos to the bill.  Sure, why not.

It didn't take long and my hair was done.  A bit more oil for the dryness and I was finished.  The total was 160 pesos but I gave her a 200 peso bill and said "no change".  She seemed thrilled and gave me a business card.  Both women wished me a good afternoon and a happy new year as I left.  I enjoyed that more than any museum and now my hair looks significantly better. 

Only a few blocks from my hotel.

If I lived here, I'd be a regular!
Thanks to Leticia Reynaga of the Estetica Unisex 13 Rojo Peluqueria.  Lopez Cotilla #271  for a great experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment