Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Meals from Monday January 7

 I really need to tell you what I ate because finally on Monday I had a famous dish, invented in Guadalajara.

It's called a torta ahogada.  Torta means sandwich and an ahogada is a special kind of sandwich that everyone said I must try.  Imagine a sub sandwich but with bread that is very crunchy...even more than a baguette.  Now imagine filling it was fried pork.  Then top it with raw onions mixed with oregano.  Then sit it in a bowl of watery chile/tomato sauce.  That's a torta ahogada.

Big deal, I thought, it's a sandwich.  But I wanted something easy for lunch and they sold them across the street from the hotel at the Taqueria Los Faroles.  I got one to go.  Perhaps not the smartest move when I saw how it was packaged.

How could I eat a sandwich that was supposed to be soaked in sauce when I had no bowl?  Or plate?  Being the clever woman I am, I just dumped the sauce (which came in a plastic bag) into a water glass and dipped the sandwich in.

Did I like it?  I've already used Google to see where I can get one in Orlando.  It seems I can't.  I think it's because of the bread which goes through an extra long fermentation process to make it so crispy and not too soft with the sauce.  One of the best sandwiches I've ever eaten.  And I've eaten a lot of sandwiches in my day.  Subway, you start serving these and you'll have something to brag about.

For dinner I was too lazy to go out.  And I wanted a combination of antojitos (snacks).  So I just ordered everything I wanted, which was WAY too much food, and only ate a bit of it.  Please - serve combo platters, Mexico!

Here are some food photos.

One of the cooks at Taqueria Los Faroles

This is the guy who made my torta.

You can't see the broth bubbling or the steam coming up from these chunks of pork as they cooked.  What a smell!

Here's the basic torta ahogada.  Bread and pork.  The onions were bagged separately, as was the sauce. 
On the right are two tacos dorados ("golden" or fried tacos) that came with the sandwich.  The plastic bag of sauce and a couple pieces of lime, that come with everything.


And a horchata to drink, por supuesto (of course).    That's a small bag of hot sauce on the side.  I just poured the big bag of sauce into a glass and dipped the sandwich.  Messy, full of textures and delicious.

Dinner was 2 rolled fried chicken tacos, a quesadilla, refried beans and guacamole.  To get this combo I had to order a whole order of 4 tacos and 4 quesadillas.  I felt bad about wasting food but would have felt worse if I tried to eat it all.

I really splurged on dessert.  This was room service and I got the crepas carjetas.  Crepes with caramel filling and vanilla ice cream.  OMG.

No comments:

Post a Comment