Thursday, January 3, 2019

Wednesday, January 2 - Hop On, Hop Off

After walking my feet off around the historical centro area of Guadalajara, I decided to check out the hop-on/hop-off bus.  Luckily, I was able to buy a ticket at the bus, since I had exact change.  The transaction was done in Spanish.  I speak some Spanish and understand more but when people speak quickly, I tend to miss details. 

The young lady from the Tapatio Bus Tours was kind.  I gave her 150 Pesos (about $7.50) and she kindly handed back 50 pesos.  Senior discount.  If you've been on the hop-on/hop-off busses in other cities, even at $7.50 this was a bargain.  They tend to be more in the $40-50 dollar range.

The busses ran four routes:  Guadalajara (which I didn't take since I'd just walked it); Tlaquepaque; Tonala (only offered on Thursdays and Sundays when local craftsman have a street fair) and Zapopan.  So I took two of the four routes.  The first, Tlaquepaque (yeah, pronounce that!) took about 1 1/2 hours and included a 30 minute stop in the center of an area known for quality crafts.

I'm trying really, really hard not to buy stuff so I just looked around.  It was hard when a $65 leather purse started screaming my name, but I resisted.  I don't want to spend more money and my house is already full of "treasures" (another word for crap bought while traveling).  Plus, I'm traveling for eight days with a carry on bag, so don't have a lot of room to pack more goodies.  I could have carried the purse, though.  And I really, really liked it. 

I did look for tin crafts for my cousin Candy but found out they're more common in San Miguel de Allende, which is several hours from here.  Tlaquepaque is known more for leather goods - you know, like the beautiful purse that is still calling to me.

Anyway, I enjoyed resting my feet while listening to mariachi music on the headphones provided by the tour bus.  The music was interspersed with descriptions (in English) of the sites we were cruising past.  I also sat open-mouthed much of the time as the driver of this huge double-decker bus drove quickly (like 35 MPH) down roads so narrow that we passed cars and occasionally humans with literally only inches to spare.  I can barely pull into my garage without hitting something.

Once back at the place where all the bus routes start I walked to another bus and asked the driver where he was going.  "Zapopan".  I had no idea what he said or meant but figured what the heck and got on.  More headphones, more tight streets and more sights to see.  On this two hour ride to the suburb of Zapopan, I got to see what happens when the giant bus tries to make a tight turn, has to back up and almost hits a food vendor on a bicycle.  The vendor glared but that was it. 

Once back where we started I decided to head back to the hotel.  The walk was very different than the previous day since now most businesses were open and the streets were crowded with what looked like Mexican tourists.

Overall impression of the city?  Scruffy, dirty, could use some zoning laws.  As in many countries, shopping seems to be in zones - technology in one area, a few blocks away everything related to beauty salon supplies, another area for furniture, etc.  All interspersed with what appeared to be light industrial areas.  And churches.  Lots and lots of beautiful Catholic churches.

And a few random thoughts I had as I rode around the city:

Why is the mariachi band playing a polka?

Why do cars stop at some stop signs and not others?  Amount of traffic doesn't seem to be the deciding factor.

Does everyone have the week off for the holiday because there are lots and lots of families with small children but not many people who I'd normally expect to find in a central business district.

Why are gas stations and car dealerships the fanciest/best maintained businesses in every country in the world?

And now, some photos...






These pasties, your choice of sweet or savory, are about $1

Two slices of pizza and a drink for $2.50.

I didn't go in.


Didn't go here either.



Why don't we have a snack place that sells sweet and salty stuff? 















This is part of the biggest nativity scene I've ever scene.  I'd also never seen an elephant in one.

Shoe shine stands everywhere.


















Oh, thank goodness - more shoe shine stands.






That's a big jewelry store.


The military museum.












For my Detroit friends.

Waiting for a bus.













No comments:

Post a Comment