Sunday, November 2, 2025

November 2, 2025 - At Sea

 I'm sitting in bed typing this.  The door is open to a light breeze and the sounds of the waves.  And, the loud sounds of an Asian version of a telenovela.  WHEN ON YOUR BALCONY USE HEADPHONES FOR YOUR MEDIA!!!!!  

Another PSA for future cruisers - DO NOT USE YOUR SELFIE STICK TO SEE WHAT YOUR NEIGHBOR IS DOING ON HER BALCONY!  Same neighbor.  It only happened once.  I was quietly reading (fully clothed), so he may not have known I was on the balcony and was just curious.  NO!

It is another beautiful morning, and annoying audio from my neighbor's TV show aside, a great place to be.

I'll update this later but here's the plan for the day:  sushi class!  I paid a small fee to learn how to make sushi rice, sushi and a poke bowl.   For dinner tonight, I'm going to the Test Kitchen.  I've heard mixed reviews - it is "experimental food" and some people love it and others hate it.  I figure if I hate it I can hit the Galley afterwards.  My only concern is the seating, rather than the food.  I peaked into the restaurant and it appears that much of the dinner seating is stools, rather than chairs.  Who decided that a stool was the best option for a two hour dinner?

In case you're wondering, I'm not the only one curious (and judgmental) about the seating options.  Others, including younger folks, have commented on the uncomfortable seating.  As Virgin's demographic continues to shift to older passengers, I wonder if they'll make changes.  

Don't get me wrong, the seating is unusual for a ship (or any public space I've ever been) but a minor issue.  I've always been able to find a place to perch.  And the ship is spotless, beautifully maintained with excellent service.  I've already put down a deposit for another cruise and will likely book this itinerary again for next October.

BIG NEWS!  Dislike of much of the seating aside, I'm enjoying the cruise so much that I booked another one today.  In October, 2026, I'll be doing an almost identical trip from Barcelona to Miami on the Scarlet Lady.  Yay!

Photos!

View when I woke up.  IMHO, there is nothing better than a sea view when I open my eyes in the morning.  Although, if I woke up to looking at Brad Pitt looking back at me that would work, too.  

There's a sunrise back there, somewhere, but I'm way to lazy to walk that far to see it.

Rainbow!!!  

All that blue and then a random rainbow.  Magical.  Ok, not really, since there are obviously squalls on the horizon so it is just science.  But magical that I noticed it.

We've had a nice mix of clouds, rain and sun.


The avocado toast in the Galley looks fabulous and is popular.

The banana and Nutella looks good too.

Another rainbow, on the other side of the ship.

Then back to my cabin and my third rainbow of the day!

It seems so close.


I enjoyed a paid session to learn to roll sushi and make poke.  It was in the Test Kitchen, where I'm also having dinner tonight.

We were each given a bowl of rice for the poke, then were given a bunch of options for toppings, including raw tuna, salmon, and a variety of vegetables.

There's a large open kitchen in the restaurant.

I forgot the chef's name already but he was very knowledgeable and explained the history of sushi before we began.


He demonstrated how to roll the sushi, then let us do our own.  I made sushi!  With salmon, avocado and cucumber.  So tasty!



Toppings for the poke.  I was already full from the sushi and passed, since I'll be having a big dinner tonight.




A display near the entrance to the restaurant.



A mermaid made of spices on the counter.

After lunch, back to my happy place - with a dulce de leche treat for dessert.

My laundry came back.  I prefer the Holland America version, wrapped in tissue paper or hanging in a garment bag, but it was free so I have no complaints.

And, it was folded.  Yay - clean undies for the rest of the trip.


1 comment:

  1. Perhaps the guy next door is Brad Pitt, checking to see who's on the balcony next door

    ReplyDelete