Friday, January 5, 2024

Friday January 5, 2023

 

My view when I woke up. 

Ah, the cruise feeling has truly begun. We had a discussion this morning about what day it was. It can't only be Friday, can it? This already feels like my glorious new life. 

We set our clocks back an hour last night. The Captain chose to do it last night instead of waiting until we dock in Tobago on Sunday to give us time to adjust.  Losing an hour on-board is just as much fun as "springing forward" to Daylight Savings Time each spring. Sucks, especially for the crew.

Some observations:

  • Being served breakfast in a formal dining room then returning to a freshly cleaned cabin is peak luxury for me.  
  • Traveling alone does not equal being lonely.  I have more social interactions on the ship than I typically have at home. Plus, my Canadian friend Jolanda is on board. I met her and her boyfriend Don on the 2020 cruise. Sadly, Don died on the 2023 world cruise.  This trip, Jolanda and I will be enjoying breakfast and dinner together in the dining room most days while going our own way the rest of the day.
  • I don't know what drugs they give the crew but I want some.  Usually smiling, always helpful even when working hard, long hours.  Last night at the end of dinner our waiter asked if we wanted anything else. I suggested a foot rub would be nice.  Dude didn't hesitate. Dropped to one knee and reached under the table.  He was joking but I have no doubt he'd give me a quick shoulder rub between courses if I asked. 
  • It's all about being on the water for me.  The ship provides enough activities to keep you busy all day but I prefer hanging out on my balcony.  Reading, drawing and just watching the sky and sea. 

Breakfast was one of my favorites, Swedish Pancakes. Crepes stuffed with a decadent creamy filling. 

My view as I type. 

Another view of the sky this morning

Dinner last night started with this excellent radicchio, frisee, blue cheese and caramelized pears salad

My entree was described as a veal loin. This wasn't what I expected but it tasted better than it looks. That's marscapone polenta on the side with a mushroom and artichoke heart ragout. 

Well, yeah, of course I had dessert. I went for this flourless chocolate cake. Bad photo. Good cake. 


No comments:

Post a Comment