Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Tuesday January 23 - At Sea

 The captain warned that we'd have some big seas today.  Between 8-9 on the Beaufort Wind Scale, with seas around 15 feet.  For a ship our size, with stabilizers out, not a big deal.  I actually prefer slightly rough seas.  Makes for great sleeping and sea watching.

I decided to be lazy and get room service for breakfast.  It arrived at 7:45 a.m.  My cabin steward was in the area so popped his head in to say hello.  Greeting men in my jammies isn't something I do at home, but has become kinda standard onboard.

At 8 a.m., I got a call from room service, asking if everything was ok with my breakfast.  At 8:20, another guy showed up to pick up my tray.  At 8:25, my cabin steward stopped by to check on my plans for the day.  Had I put out my "do not disturb" sign no one would knock.  But, they will call to make sure I'm ok.  I can happily go for days without seeing another human at home so I have mixed feelings about this level of service/concern.  

Have I mentioned that Rony, one of my cabin stewards, inadvertently scared the bejeebers out of me near the beginning of the cruise?  That was after I told him about hiding and scaring my steward on an earlier cruise.  Since then, I've been trying to scare him.  He's caught me every time.  I did find out who his cabin mate is, who was kind enough to place a note from me on Rony's pillow.  Typical love note - "I know where you sleep.  Beware!"  Which is pretty brave of me considering he has a key to my cabin.

Anyway, this morning I put out the "please clean" sign on my door.  Then made a point of saying hello to Rony and his partner Mario who were cleaning the cabin next door.  I told them I was going upstairs to play cards.  Then, ran around the ship so I could sneak back into my cabin.  Where I sat on the closed toilet for 15 minutes, waiting for Rony to come in to clean.

Got him!  Much hilarity ensued.  He declared us now 1 to 1.  I suggested a truce but clearly, it is now a very good-natured war.    I'm now plotting for more fun surprises that won't cause him any additional work.  Ideas appreciated.

And now, photos!

Morning view, just before sunrise


The seas were just rough enough last night to rock me to sleep

Is there anything more luxurious than someone bringing you breakfast in bed?

Perfectly cooked and piping hot

I learned the hard way how they keep the food so hot.  DO NOT TOUCH the metal thingy under the plate.  It is very hot.  And effective

As the day progressed, the seas got a bit rougher but still very safe and comfortable

I've got to cut back on my food intake.  But really, a Pavlova and iced coffee seemed ideal for lunch.  I also had some melon

Tomorrow we'll start going through the Panama Canal.  It will take longer than usual because of low water levels

I went for a walk (steroids worked - joints are back to feeling great) and took these from Deck 2



Sorry for the reflection - this is from the Crow's Nest on Deck 10, looking forward over the bow of the ship

Dinner in the Pinnacle Grill was a treat.  It is a $46 upcharge.  I was charged $31, which seems like more than my 50% discount should be


Hanging bacon with maple sugar

Scallops

There are two more tiny spears of asparagus hidden under those two

Jolanda got the roasted beets for her side

What do you call a dessert amuse bouche?  They used to offer candies before the dessert course in the MDR on formal nights.  No more

OMG, this chocolate souffle



No comments:

Post a Comment