Monday, December 20, 2010

I'm a Peace Corps Volunteer

My niece, me and sister - just in case you didn't recognize the American 
Written Saturday evening, December 17, 2010

Yeah, like that’s new news?  It really is, since up until today I was a Peace Corps Trainee.  I have now jumped through every hoop, leaped over all obstacles and stumbled through the Language Proficiency Interview.  Today, I was sworn in as a Peace Corps Volunteer.  I’ve got an id card and special passport to prove it.

This has been a busy week.  Moving back to the hotel in Apia.  Classes, final interviews, doctors visits for me and shopping for all the stuff we need to set up house for the next two years. I’ll do a separate entry on shopping, since it made Black Friday at Walmart look like a walk in the park. 

To try to keep myself focused, I’ll do this in the Q and A format that we all love.

So, did you find out logistical details?

Yes, except for my new address in Savaii, which I think is in an email that I haven’t been able to read yet.  I’ll get that posted as quickly as possible.  I found out how much money I’ll be given as a living allowance.  I can’t say how much it is, but in my work as an independent management consultant, I made more before noon on Monday than I’ll make in a month of teaching school in Savaii.   That’s not to brag about how much I used to earn.  More a statement of how little I make here.

Did you enjoy unpacking and repacking again this week?

Oh, golly, yes!  It was just so much fun to have all my junk strewn over the floor and every other available surface of the hotel room.  I think Chelsea and I were successful in not co-mingling our junk.  If we did, it’s a bummer because even though it’s a small country, we have to depend on public transportation.  That means we’re about 7 hours away from each other.  Bummer.

I was tired of packing and unpacking before I even left home, since I tried to be organized and meet the weight requirement which required do several iterations of each suitcase.  Since then, I unpacked in L.A. for staging (well, sorta), then in the hotel in Apia, then again in the home stay village and now packed again for the trip tomorrow to Savaii.  I’ll be unpacking again tomorrow, then only have to pack one more time – for the move to my house, whenever that happens.

What is Swearing In like?

We had the ceremony at Robin’s house.  Which is easier than saying the home of the Charge de Affaires aka top dog in the Embassy here.  It’s quite nice and she’s a great hostess.  Invitees were the 20 of us.  Two members from each of our host families were also invited as were our new pules (principals).  Mine didn’t come from Savaii, which is understandable.  My host sister and niece came and it was great to see them, although then there were more tears when we said goodbye.

Guests sat under a tent, while the dignitaries sat on the porch, facing us.  We were in the front rows under the tent.  It started with a prayer, followed by us doing a most excellent dance.  We got spontaneous applause on 3 different occasions during the dance.  The first time, I thought they were cheering for us.  Then the second and third time, I realized they cheered when we said “Atua” – God.  Ok, so they were probably cheering God. Still felt good.

Next were speeches, followed by us reading a page long list of things we promised, including “I will strive to learn the Samoan language.”  I believe they put that in just for me.  Not “I will learn.”  The more ambiguous, “I’ll strive.”

After the speeches came a chance for us to have a group photo taken and food.  It was also a chance to mingle with our families.

You may notice in the photos that a lot of us have a lot of plumage.  Those are handmade ulas – the Samoan version of leis.  Some are special leaves, some are flowers and some are “lollies”, which is a very cool idea.  Take a small piece of saran wrap.  Wrap a hard candy or small packet of cookies in the saran wrap.  Tie with curly ribbon and use the curly ribbon to connect each piece.  Us kids love ‘em!  They’re common for any type of graduation or special event it seems, for kids and adults.

You may also notice that all but two of us are wearing matching dresses.  That’s something most groups do.  One in our group didn’t want to wear matching outfits and several of us were on the fence.  Yeah, a show of “we’re all in this together” but just doesn’t sit well for a former flower child.  And, you’re correct.  I don’t dress up with the Red Hat ladies, either.  Anyway, a lot of our families gave us puletasis in the training village.  My family had one specially made for me – it’s royal blue, with hand painting in silver and gold and it’s beautiful.

I decided it was more important to honor my family by wearing not just a puletasi, which is the traditional attire in Samoa (except in Apia where western clothes are seen), but a puletasi given to me with love and at great expense.  I’m happy with my decision.

What Did You Do for the Rest of the Day?

Packed.  Picked up laundry.  I’ll wash underwear in the sink in a hotel and hang it to dry, but I draw the line at washing my entire wardrobe that way.  Actually, I tried to pick up laundry but I was told my son picked it up.  Really?  I have no son.  Yes you do- the tall one who looks like you.  Ah, Mika and I had dropped off our laundry at the same time, so they assumed it was “ours”.  Thanks for hauling, Mika, and paying the bulk of the charge.  Sorry about you having to see my undies.

 Hung out by the pool reading palms and doing psychological evaluations of my fellow trainees.  A couple of my lesser known skills that have proved quite popular here.

I got a text from another trainee that they’d spotted a 2 burner hotplate for sale for only $230.  Going rate is $300 and they’re hard to find.  3 places had told me they couldn’t be shipped until next year (remember, it’s a small island country).  So I raced over to get one.  I snagged the last one.  I asked if they offered a Peace Corps discount.  Nope.  So, I asked if they’d give a discount to the oldest Peace Corps volunteer.  Yup, $30 off.  I have no shame and age here is a real perk.

How’d You Get The Enormous Amount Of Luggage You Have Down 3 Flights Of Stairs?

An angel, sent from above, offered to schlep my junk, along with Sia’s stuff.  Enough to fill a pickup truck.  Actually, the angel is courtesy of Betsey and Fred and his name is Joseph Michael, aka Mika.  I’ve written about him before.  He was in the pool and heard that those of us going to Savaii had to take all our luggage to the Peace Corps office because we’re leaving at o’dark thirty tomorrow.  Bless him for hauling everything.  I’m guessing he made about 15 trips up and down the three flights of stairs.

Speaking of stairs.  I’ve made a minimum of 12 trips up and the stairs today and am pooped.  Ready to head for bed but have to make one more trip downstairs first because we’re out of water again, so have to walk to the store.  Luckily it’s very close and since we’re not in the village I’m allowed to go out after dark.  But, oh, those stairs!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Another milestone. Love the picture. And, interesting that you now do "stair climbing"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations for getting beyond all hoops, obstacles and the language proficiency interview!
    Best wishes getting your own living arrangements and going forward as a fully sworn-in PCV.

    ReplyDelete