Thursday, March 28, 2013

I Need a Weekend

It's 6:00 a.m.  I've been up since 2:00 a.m. when I wandered to the bathroom and stepped into a small flood.  The toilet tank had apparently been quietly overflowing all night.  No biggie, I just turned off the water to the tank and used a spare towel to mop up as much as I could.  But there was no getting to sleep after that.

I've been having trouble sleeping through the night and have been getting up about 4 a.m., which is too early, but 2 is ridiculous.  Rather than just toss and turn I got up to get the work done that was causing me to miss sleep.

I caught up on emails and was making good progress on one assignment until I was at a point I needed to have a question answered by my boss, and oddly, he's not responding to email at 4:00 a.m.  I kept going on some other stuff and headed for the shower at 5:30 a.m.  Plenty of hot water, good water pressure.  It was a good shower.  As I stepped out of the shower, the lights went out.  Crap.  So much for the blow dryer.  And the cup of tea I had in mind.  At least I have crackers and peanut butter for breakfast.

The electricity goes out here on a regular basis.  There are planned outages for a few hours twice a week.  Because we know they're coming, it's no big deal.  We just plan around it.  But surprise outages are less fun and they've been happening more often lately.

Wednesday, the other trainer and I got to work early to print the handouts for the day.  Power was out.  No handouts and no projector to show our lovely slides.  The ones I'd been working on late the night before.  We adjusted.  As I was drawing the models we were going to be studying on the flipchart, the power came back.  Yes, things are back on track.

Last night I was having dinner with two colleagues from Scotland.  We were dining at the restaurant that's in the compound with my apartment.  It felt very homey - I know the staff and we were the only guests.  There was no power (an expected outage) but they were using their generator.  A moment after we finished eating, all the lights went out and it was pitch dark.

The voice of one of the staff yelled out "Don't worry, we'll have the candles lit in a minute."  He didn't have time because the generator kicked back in seconds later.  Either way, we would have been fine.  And actually, I look better by candle light.

I drove the folks back to their hotel and returned home to relax for a few minutes before heading to bed.  Between the very busy schedule and the lack of sleep, I'm really looking forward to the weekend.  Rest, a little exercise and celebrating Easter.  It will be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment