Friday, February 28, 2020

Friday, February 28, 2020 - Day 56 - Nuku'alofa Tonga

I was so excited about going to Tonga.  Since internet seems reasonable I'm going to try to post the photos first and add stories later.  The short version is I got off the ship, hired a driver, went to a school then did an island tour.  Fingers crossed on the photos!


This was the view from my bed when I woke up this morning.  The window is wet because they wash the decks above every morning.



One of the small, creative flower arrangements near Guest Services.  They used yarn to cover a plain glass vase. 
On the dock they were ready for us - singers and dancers (which I missed) and decorations on the wharf.


I hired John, a local driver to show me his island.

First stop - a school.  This is principal Anna.  I gave her a small cash gift and got a hug and kiss in return.  Along with free run of the school to enjoy the annual Sports Day.

I didn't get to go in the classrooms but the staff room and rest of the school looked very much like the schools in Samoa.

Anna introduced me to the score keeper.  When kids cross the finish line, they're given a number for first, second or third.  The kids bring the number to the score keeper and she keeps track.  That was always my job in Faga.

Lots of kids, parents, teachers and music blasting.

The playground has paths made of crushed lava.  Some kids had shoes, some didn't.  

These guys wanted their picture taken.  They weren't interested in seeing it, just wanted me to take it.  Another boy helped me find the principal but was too shy to have his photo taken.

The kids yelled, cheered, raced and seemed to be having an excellent time.  The teacher clapped together two blocks of wood to start the race.  Clever.

In the parking lot, a "Chinese Store" was doing a brisk business selling snacks.

After time at the school we headed to the blow holes.  On the way, we passed this building.  John was amazed when I asked if it was a Mormon school.  They looked exactly the same in Samoa.

Lots of taro, manioc, breadfruit, papaya, and bananas and people tending their small fields.

The blow holes.  John said they weren't very good today because the sea was so calm.  Still beautiful and worth a visit. 


The cool part was that there were great waves and blow holes all the way up the coast. 
The owner of this house likes color.  I wonder what my HOA would say if I repainted my house like this.


We passed through several villages.  They each had a sign. 


This guys house was covered in signs.  He seems to have a lot of opinions.

We drove down this path to what I thought was a beach but was actually to see the monument in the next photo.  John was great but his English was basic and I don't speak Tongan.  Luckily, some Samoan and Tongan words are the same (talo, ulu, fale, atua, etc.)


A store in the main town.  As in Samoa, a lot of the stores are owned by Chinese.

An open air produce market near the wharf.


I was determined not to buy anything.  But then saw these - they are the "nose" of a marlin, carved.  So cool and unique.  I paid $25 for one.  When I brought it on board I was told I had to leave it in my cabin.  Security apparently knows I get annoyed easily and didn't want me carrying a 3 foot "sword".  
Some of the jewelry was cool but pricey and I was determined not to buy stuff I didn't really want.


People on the ship are sporting Tonga t-shirts today.


This guy was doing interesting drawings on tapa cloth.

The view from the ship.  The water in the port was so clear I could see fish from the wharf.

The day started with an amazing view from my bed.  This was the evening view as the sun set.  Notice how quiet the sea is.

No comments:

Post a Comment