Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Thoughts About the Amsterdam and the People On It

I like the Amsterdam.  It has 1432 passengers.  Not too big, not too small.  But the ship has changed over the years.

The first day I went to the MDR, I went down the center elevator to deck 4.  I planned to head to the back of the ship to the entrance to the dining room.  But I couldn't.  I thought perhaps I'd had a stroke or something because I got off the elevator and couldn't figure out how to get there.  This used to involve turning a corner and walking a few steps.

But they, for some reason, have blocked off hallways to the entrance to the dining room.  The only way to get there is via the aft (back) elevator.  If you're on the fourth floor mid-ship (as I was) you have to either go up or down a floor and then walk back and go back to the 4th floor.  Luckily, as I walked in a small circle, feeling very confused, another couple was in the same boat.  It took us ten minutes to find the 4th floor entrance to the MDR.  It creates some traffic jams at meal times.

I'm a fan of ginger.  I especially like the chunks of syrupy ginger they hand out after dinner.  It's sweet, spicy and a nice end to a meal.  But they don't do it anymore except on the World Cruise.  I was told it wouldn't be available so it was a pleasant surprise.

On the ships I cruised last year (Westerday and Zuiderdam) there were few fresh flowers.  Clearly, a cost cutting measure.  On this cruise there are beautiful flowers all around the ship.  Only for the World Cruise. 

A couple at lunch today was complaining about the flowers.  It seems they have "reserved" the same table for two, next to a window, for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I put reserved in quotes since I don't believe HAL typically allows reserving tables for breakfast and lunch.

Today they were complaining at lunch because they wanted only white flowers on their table, not the pinkish white flowers that were on every table.  No problem, the waiter went in search of the whitest flowers he could find on the other tables and changed them.  The passengers didn't seem happy with the effort.  Then they were annoyed because another couple was seated at a separate table for two next to them.  Perhaps next cruise they should just consider a private yacht.

Tonight was another example of pure indulgence.  I wasn't really hungry for dinner so ordered the fruit and cheese plate along with a glass of wine.  One man brought that to my cabin.  Another man came to give me chocolates and the When and Where for tomorrow, since I typically prefer not to have turn down service.  Then, another man brought my laundry, neatly folded and wrapped in tissue paper.  Yeah, this is the life.  BTW, the wine was part of a package I bought.  The cheese, fruit and chocolates are free.

I'd only been to the Pinnacle Grill once before, on the Zuiderdam.  It was not good.  The food was ok but the service was bad.

I wanted to try it again on this ship.  Meals in the MDR and Lido are included in the price of the cruise.  Specialty restaurants like Pinnacle Grill are not.  And to me, when I pay $39 for dinner on a cruise, I expect it to be worth it.  It helps that now that I'm a 4 Star Mariner, I get the meal for 1/2 price.

The other night I went with friends Don and Jolanda.  It was excellent.  Great food and excellent service.  I loved the hanging candied bacon.  The wedge salad was fresh and tasty.  My steak was perfectly cooked to rare, which is not always easy.  The meat was tender and flavorful and not too salty.  And the chocolate souffle?  I wanted to spend some quiet time alone with that souffle. 

I'm sure glad I bought binoculars for this trip.  They make a huge difference here in Antarctica.  I almost didn't bring them because on the world cruise 19 years ago, binoculars were one of the pillow gifts.  I also received some complimentary shore excursions, like the overland Mumbai to Agra trip.  Not so this time.  I've very much enjoying the "Antarctica Cruising Guide" book but it just isn't what it used to be before cost-cutting measures started.


No comments:

Post a Comment