Sunday, August 22, 2010

Samoa, Packing and Project Management

Now that I know I'm headed to Samoa on October 5 (via staging in L.A.), I've started shutting down my life at home. As an experienced project manager, it's no big deal for me. A couple of phone calls and I'd arranged for packers/movers and storage for the valuable items (aka crap) I've accumulated over the years.

I've also signed the paperwork to rent out my house for the time I'll be gone. Plus, made lists of "garage sale", "craigslist.com" and "storage". My calendar is full of things to do. Next week, Santa Fe for the final leg of the farewell tour. The following week, garage sale and post ads on craigslist.com. The following week, my Boston buddy returns to help with shopping and packing and celebrating.

That's also the week my friends from Michigan officially move to Florida. So, I sent out evites for a party to celebrate their arrival and my departure. Very casual. Hot dogs and burgers on the grill, along with some crock pot baked beans.

A perfect plan, right? I thought so, until I heard myself describing the party to my Boston buddy last night and as I said the words "hot dogs and burgers on the grill" I realized that the grill will have been sold the previous week in the garage sale. Along with the crock pot for the baked beans. And the pool toys/outside furniture. Oh, and did I mention the living room furniture was going on craigslist.com?

Project management 101 - always remember to check your dependencies and GANTT. Or, you'll end up with a list of RSVPs and no grill.

Some of the junk I've already removed from my garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment