Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Never Enough New Mexico Chiles


I made the last stop on the farewell tour last week. The destination was Santa Fe, NM. It was an opportunity to see my friend John's new casita, enjoy the lovely dry weather and see how many chiles I could eat.

It was a quick trip, but a lot of fun. John knocked himself out to make me feel welcome in his beautiful new home. Perfectly decorated with furniture and accessories that complement the adobe style of the house. The fresh flowers and margaritas were icing on the Spanish cake.

The timing of the trip was perfect. The weather was warm and sunny, with cool evenings and low humidity. Plus, it was harvest time for Hatch green chiles. You know how tents sprout around the 4th of July, selling fireworks? This time of year in NM, it's tents with giant roasters set up, selling green chiles. The aroma of the roasting green chiles is amazing. I couldn't resist and was willing to leave clothes behind, if necessary, so I could bring some of the fresh chiles home. Luckily I was able to cram ten pounds of chiles in my suitcase and still pack all my clothes.

We dined at a number of popular places offering Nu Mex cuisine. My favorite was La Choza, with Tecolote Cafe coming in a close second. El Parasol is great for take-out and wins my award for best tamale in Santa Fe.

I grew up in Tucson, a city known for Mexican food. Santa Fe is different, but equally good. Spicier, for sure. In Tucson, you have to choose, red or green sauce. In Santa Fe, they accommodate those of us who are indecisive and serve Christmas style - both red and green.

I'll miss John and my other friends. And boy, will I miss Mexican food.

1 comment:

  1. Love Tecolote! Now that I know John is there I'll get in touch with him next year when I come for Opera. Glad you had a great time! I'll bring tacos when I visit Samoa. :-b

    ReplyDelete