Saturday, August 14, 2010

Where Am I Going?


Will it be Tonga?

Or Samoa?

I've been over-the-moon excited since learning last Thursday that I've been invited to teach in the Pacific Islands, beginning in early October. I assumed it was Tonga and tried to get the placement officer to confirm that during our call. She gently said "I wouldn't get your hopes up too much for a specific country, since we place teachers in many Pacific countries."

I just assumed that was prevarication and that I was headed to Tonga. Then I read a blog entry from October, 2009. A couple was headed to Tonga to begin service. And they stopped in Samoa - to drop off the trainees who would be serving there. So, does that mean I might be serving in Samoa?

I'm thrilled to know that I'll be heading to the Pacific Islands in October. I will be happy with any place they send me. Samoa, though, would be particularly cool because I'm a faithful reader of "Matt's Samoa Blog". He seems like a cool kid and it would be great to meet him before he finishes service this year and heads back to grad or law school. Through his blog, I feel as if I already know what I'll be walking into in Samoa, which would be kind of cool. Then again, Tonga would be pretty amazing, too. So would any of the other Pacific islands.

Really, is there a bad option?

2 comments:

  1. Looks like we might end up in the same place! My current nomination is for the Pacific Islands early October as well, and if you check out the PCWiki Tonga is listed. Samoa isn't on the list, though that doesn't mean it couldn't be added.

    In ready the descriptors of the Education programs in each country, it looks like Samoa houses special education and technology education programs while Tonga has more general education (primary/secondary) ... so, depending on what your nomination is education-wise, that might help!

    I'm a bit jealous that you've already been in invited ... I'm just waiting for that call!

    Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too will be going to the south pacific! I cannot wait to hear which country. I'm primary teaching so I have a feeling I'm going to Tonga which looks amazing!!!

    October is getting closer and closer!!!
    Maybe I will get to meet you in a few weeks. :-)

    ReplyDelete