Friday, September 24, 2010

Food, Sand and Friends

Sunset over the intercoastal.  This was the view from our table at J.B.'s.

On Wednesday, my Boston buddy and I headed to New Smyrna Beach to my favorite restaurant, J. B.'s Fishcamp.  We met some other friends there, who just moved to Florida this week.  Ironic that one of my best friends moves here, just as I'm packing up to move out.

We sat out on the deck, enjoying clams.  Actually, Ralph and I enjoyed the clams and we all enjoyed the look on Dan's face as he tried a clam and definitely didn't enjoy it.  Then we ate alligator, coconut shrimp, crab, cajun shrimp, flounder and lots of hush puppies.  Great conversation and an amazing view of the sunset.  And the ray, that was swimming a foot away from our table.  Oh, did I mention the manatees and the dolphins?  Yup, it's my favorite place.

I love New Smyrna and anytime I'm feeling stressed, unhappy or just have the mullygrubs, I head to the beach.  I seem to be able to breathe easier after I cross the causeway from the mainland and the ocean is in view.  The power and constancy of the waves reminds me of how minuscule my problems are, in the scheme of things.

I've had a lot of nonsensical thoughts while preparing for Samoa.  The other day, after buying an aluminum water bottle, I commented that I didn't think it would keep the water cold.  My friend correctly pointed out that the water I put in it wouldn't be cold to begin with.  Duh.

Another day, I was trying to figure out when I could make a final trip to the beach.  I wanted to soak up the comfort of the waves and feel the sand one last time.  Then I realized that I may be leaving New Smyrna Beach, but I'm heading to an island.  Duh, again.

Thank you to the Peace Corps for sending me to Samoa.  It's a far cry from the Arizona desert where I grew up.  Nice to know that for the next two years, I'll be surrounded by the environment that brings me the most comfort and joy.

By the way, "mullygrubs" is that feeling you get sometimes, when nothing is really wrong but it just feels like your skin doesn't fit right and smiling doesn't come easily.  Don't know where the word came from.  Maybe it was a family thing, but I've used it since I was a kid.


  
The ray that kept cruising the water just below our table.
We walked on the beach after dinner.  That's my head on the right.  I was hiding behind my buddies.
What can I say.  I'm hot and the men love me.  The best part was that the friend taking the photo kept having "problems" and made us redo the kiss about 10 times.  

2 comments:

  1. You never fail to make me smile lovely lady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhhh. J.B's Fishcamp. It was sooo good there. Thanks for the memories :)

    ReplyDelete