Monday, September 6, 2010

Samoa Ambivalence

It's nice to know I'm not the only one feeling ambivalent about my upcoming move. I'm excited about moving to Samoa. I can't wait to go. On the other hand, it's too soon! Time is moving too fast and I'm not ready to leave yet.

I read a blog from another "almost volunteer" and he's having the same feelings. Then I talked to a friend who's relocating to Florida in two weeks. She described it as "surreal" - knowing the dream of a lifetime is about to come true while letting go of the security of home is hard to do.

It's like standing on a cliff, ready to jump into the water far below. Taking that first step is terrifying and yet you know that the thrill is going to be amazing.

I'm creeping closer to the edge. Two rooms in my house are filled with packing boxes. The "to do" list continues to grow. Today I'll take another baby step as I sort things into three piles: garage sale/give away, pack for storage and pack for Samoa.

Applicants can take a one-question survey when they sign in to check their status. The questions change periodically. One was something like "Are you nervous about leaving for service?" When I answered it, about 60% weren't nervous. Makes me wonder - does that make me a chicken or more in touch with the magnitude of the change I'm about to make?

Either way, I'm not backing away from the cliff. On October 5, I'll be on the plane, taking some deep breaths and enjoying the thrill of leaping off the cliff.

No comments:

Post a Comment